Help me identify water softener loop components

Users who are viewing this thread

Texas-Tom

Reaction score
Hi,

I just moved into a newly built house (not 1st owner, but initial owner flipped it in a month so I doubt they changed anything), and there is water loop pre-plumbed, and it seems to have 2 drain connections so I have no clue why, or what is what. This in in Austin, TX area if that helps.

P_20220710_113034.jpeg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The one with a threaded plug is a clean out as the other one is the drain connection.

Texas-Tom

Reaction score
Thanks, and sorry for stupid question. First time homeowner and just getting ready to install filter+water softener.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is in the box that has the insulation stuffed inside?

Cliffyk

Reaction score
[edit] Please see my followup post below;[/edit]

My guesses are: cold supply to heater, hot feed to house (currently bridged to supply water to the HW plumbing); and the temperature/pressure relief valve drain.

I have no idea what the shot-off would be, except maybe for the CW feed or the HW outlet (fed from up above before actually entering the house ???).

I emphasize these are pure speculation...

Forum-00.jpg

Last edited:

Cliffyk

Reaction score
I just realized the OP was asking about water softener connections (damned 75 yo Parkinson's riddled brain). Please substitute input for "cold", output for "hot" and just drain for "TPR valve drain" in my above post.

Don't know what the "valve in the box might be for?

Bannerman

Reaction score
If the home's main supply shut-off valve is actually located within the valve box shown, it would make sense for the incoming supply line for the water softener to be directly above the valve. I, therefore, anticipate the hard water supply line will be the left-most pipe protruding for the loop and the soft water feed to house fixtures will be on the right.

I expect a 'P'-trap will yet need to be installed on the drain line protrusion, and a standpipe with an air-gap device will be needed for connecting the softener's drain line above the 'P'-trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks