Help me identify odd PVC coupling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
While repairing outside plumbing to my well pump. I got into a predictiment that I cannot figure out. In my supplies, I had a 1" PVC coupling and have no idea where it was purchased.
The coupling has the same outside diameter the full length but it has provisions for tightening with a large wrench and also has ribbs for tightening with pliers.
The coupling has NO THREADS.
Markings on the fittings are--PVC 1-1 D2466 1 1/4-1 Sch 40.

The outside diameter of a 1" PVC pipe is 1 5/16"
The O.D. of a 1 1/4" pipe is 1 5/8"

The I.D. of one end of this fitting is correct for a 1" pipe but the other end is 1.370" (slightly under 1 3/8")

Since I have completed the repair, I am not greatly concerned about this fitting but was just wondering what kind of fitting is this?
Is it some kind of special fitting or just a screw-up in manufacturing?

I will try to post a picture later.

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
Possibilities (not in any order)
1. Thinwall PVC
2. CPVC to PVC adapter

Thanks Bill---To my limited knowledge ,different schedule pipe has the same O.D., with a smaller I.D.
I considered it might be a CPVC to PVC adapter but I don't know of a CPVC pipe with this O.D. This could be a possibality.

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
1-1/4 cpvc (schedule 40) measures 1-3/8 od. It is the same size as copper. So you might have a pvc to cpvc adapter there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pvc

If it is PVC and has not threads it would not be to connect to copper, OR CPVC. And pipes with various wall thicknesses change the i.d. of the pipe, not the o.d.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks