Help me figure out how these rough-ins are supposed to form the bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Hotbacon

Reaction score
I'm in the process of refinishing our basement, which luckily had the bathroom rough-ins laid under the concrete slab during the building of the house (23 years ago). The water closet rough-in is 13" from one wall, but right on a corner. See (crude) drawing below:

http://basementrefinishing.shutterfly.com/pictures/18
http://basementrefinishing.shutterfly.com/pictures/18

In a perfect world, I would just extend the one wall to block out that entire corner as the bathroom. However, as can be seen in the picture below marked w/ my 4' level, that leaves only ~6" from the centerline of the water closet to the future wall.

http://basementrefinishing.shutterfly.com/pictures/17

The 13" from the one wall is pretty obvious that they intended the toilet to face up (in my drawing) with the back against that wall. But I have no idea how they intened to wall the rest of the bathroom off. Any ideas on what the footprint of this bathroom was intended to look like?

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
I don't see what the problem is?
Put a closet around the corner to extend the wall where you need it and extend out to box in the bathroom.
You have the closet flange set you know there should be a wall around the bathroom, you know the minimum distance from the Center line of the closet flange to the adjacent wall is a minimum of 15 inches.
If you want the outside wall to look uniform you can put shelving or a clostet in the corner recess that is created.
Michael

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It appears that they installed the shower drain for a 48" shower, that meant the toilet drain had to be 48" plus a 4" wall, plus 15" to the center of the toilet. That is 5'-7" so the toilet should have been EVEN with the wall, not 6" away from it. You can use a 42" shower, but then you will have to move the shower drain 6" to the right, or move the toilet opening 6" to the left. Then place your wall 1'-3" from the center of the toilet, which will create a "niche" behind the room which can be used for shelving or storage.

Hotbacon

Reaction score
Sounds like I'm just going to have to be creative with that "niche". Considering I'm going to cap off the shower drain, how would a professional lay out this bathroom?

I'll probably have a big open area I can put a closet in the bathroom, but just want to get some experienced opinions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In that case, you have almost countless options, as long as you are willing to move the toilet drain. How large do you want to make the room? Where will the door be? Where do you want the sink and how big will it be?

Hotbacon

Reaction score
I'd like to to keep the water closet drain where it is...unless it's totally ridiculous., and I'd like to keep the room as small as possible. As of now, the plan is to have the door just to the right of the lav drain (from inside the room).

I guess this question should be a seperate topic, but the lav drain is currently a 2" PVC pipe coming up out of the concrete slab, then continues up into the cieling and up through the exterior wall. What is the proper way to tie the lav drain into this pipe/vent. I could envision the room a bit better if I knew exactly how the lav has to be tied in (i.e. - can the lav be located on another wall with a run of pipe around a corner to the current pipe/vent?).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you don't plan to use the shower, and you want small as possible, then you have to move the toilet drain!

To pass code, the toilet needs 15" on either side to the nearest wall. If you have 13" from the studs, by the time you get the drywall up, you'll be almost exactly at the standard 12" rough-in, letting you choose nearly any toilet (which is good).

The pipe that goes up the wall to the roof is (likely) the vent. If it is used as a drain for anything else, it no longer qualifies for a vent. From the toilet, there should be a vent line that connects to that vent line at least 6" above the flood plane of the sink or 42", whichever is higher. Now, the toilet might be wet vented, and may be okay, depending on where you live and how it is actually connected. There should have been a vent pipe from the shower going over to and connecting with that vent as well.

Hotbacon

Reaction score
Jadnashua - Thanks for your reply.

I originally thought the pipe going up the exterior wall was the vent too. Then I found a note on the framing (from the builders I assume) showing measurement from the one wall to each drain. It has each measurment and a label (w.c., shower, lav). The 83.25" was for the lav...so that must be the intended use for the pipe.

Something else I thought of that hasn't been mentioned - the shower and water closet (and lav I assume) all go to a sewage basin in the other end of the bathroom. A washing machine has it's own (above slab) drain w/ trap, that drains into the sewage basin as well. A sewage ejection pump then pumps the basin contents into the main sewer line.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The shower and WC may be wet vented through the lav, but there is no good way to know for sure now without getting a camera in the line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks