Help!! Leak in unfinished basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven Shaw

Reaction score
For approximately 3 days there has been a steady drip from my ceiling basement. The water is spread out as it drips so I cannot find the source. To the right is a 1st floor toilet line and sewer pipe and within 8" are two pipes that appear to travel to the second level. I have recently replaced the toilet fill tubing. There are no other water related fixtures above the leak. I have tried shutting off all water in toilet / sink above the leak and the toilet / sink in the kids bath that is in proximity on the second floor and still leaking. I can, if close to the ceiling, hear the drip.drip.drip of it hitting the top of the sub floor above me. I don't think the toilet is leaking because it doesn't refill. Thoughts?

Attachments

• test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 287

Reach4

Reaction score
Water sloshed out of a bathtub or leaked from showering with the curtain outside of the tub could drip water down. However your drip rate seems to be pretty constant.

How about your air conditioner condenser? Is its drain maybe blocked, and the water is coming from that?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With old copper, it could be anywhere. That picture shows a lot of water. All you can do it work high and follow it down. I have a moisture meter that is a help in locating leaks in wall. If the drywall reads high moisture, it's where the leak may be.

Steven Shaw

Reaction score
I have dealt with an overflow pan block from the blower at the attic level before and the drip location was adjacent to the basement door...15 yards from this. The AC units are outside of that door and are level with the basement floor...below the leak level. If the toilet was leaking above this, would it not cause the toilet to re-fill the tank occasionally? I have killed the water to the house and put a fan on the wet areas. I 'm hoping to dry it out and turn the water back on to see which part gets wet first. Maybe that will serve as a direction to go???

Reach4

Reaction score
Some houses have access to the plumbing to the tub via an access panel in the closet on the other side of the wall. If you have a closet there, open the panel, or maybe add a panel.

A leaking at the toilet could be from the drain, especially if there is a partial clog.

Any leaking in the toilet tank should go down the drain.

Steven Shaw

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time and suggestions. I've killed the ate to the house and it's stopped. Can I rule out a leaking toilet then? From the bowl/tank?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks