Help! Kitchen sink lock nut on drain flange won't tighten!

Users who are viewing this thread

LadyFixer

Reaction score
Hi everyone--just installed my first garbage disposal unit and unbelivably no complications--that is never MY plumbing experience--however, on the nondisposal side my sink drainer flange lock nut (the part that tightens the drain to the bottom of the sink) keeps coming loose (I hand tighten it and then when I think it is really tight, one more turn and it all comes loose again!)--very frustrating, because when I use the disposal side of the sink, water starts dripping out from the bottom of the nondisposal side--why this happens I'm not sure...
Anyway, I have used plummbers putty, rubber seals, and telfon tape to get the drain tight against the sink and still it won't tighten. The locknut is metal and so is the drain fitting. Any help to solve this problem would be GREATLY appreciated!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome To Terry's Forums LadyFixer.

Get the proper tool and tighten it.

Or the threads are striped, and it needs to be replaced.

Have a great day.

DonL

Last edited:

Plumber2011

Expert Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.norwoodplumbing.com
Hi Ladyfixer...

I'm wondering if your metal ring is the kind that is about 3.5" across (or so)?? If your metal ring is 3.5" or so, then I recommend that you go to a local home supplier and purchase a sink strainer with the basket and 1.5" nut on the bottom to tighten all up...see image. These strainers are almost "never-fail" strainers.

The basket strainers with the larger nuts are famous for "popping off" like you are talking about...real pain! Buy the basket strainer as shown below...quick, easy job!!

Good luck!

Attachments

• Moen-22037-Stainless-Steel-Sink-Basket-Strainer.jpg
    Moen-22037-Stainless-Steel-Sink-Basket-Strainer.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 12,114
Last edited:

LadyFixer

Reaction score
thanks Plumber2011--yep, ater work tonight, I'm heading over to the depot for the basket strainer you have pictured--I appreciate the suggestion!

DanT

Reaction score
those strainers with the big ring underneath are crap. always liked the ones with the big cup spacer and the 1-1/2 nut on the bottom.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can use the large nut baskets, but regardless, I buy the better ones anyway.
The ones on the low end of the payscale are hardly worth installing.

The one pictured by plumber2011 is the easier of the two to install. A standard set of plumbers pliers will work well on that.
Sometimes with some configerations, they don't allow the height you need, but that's rare. In those cases I use the shallower large nut basket. I carry both kinds on the truck.

jomar_snaplock.jpg

I like these because they have a round pin with a ball that is easier to center up when you place the basket in.

jomar_snaplock2.jpg

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I think a lot of the problems with the Big Ring, is that if you don't have the correct tool to tighten it, then it leaks.

Most people have a tool to tighten the 1.5 inch connections, and it should be much better for a DIY type person.

I would hope that they are made in the U.S.A., Most imports are cheap junk, Last a short time...

DonL

LadyFixer

Reaction score
had to buy this Kohler strainer (Kohler K-8799) for $40! (the only other one they had was for $12.00 made of aluminum...did not seem as sturdy to me) but it fit well and no more leaks! Now we'll see how it stands up to hard water

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I may be in the minority here, but I only REMOVE the strainers with the small locknut, NEVER install them, and I would also NEVER pay $40.00 for a Kohler drain, (in fact, since almost everything Kohler makes is overpriced I seldom use any of it, except when I need something special, which no one else makes, for my own house ). I use cast brass strainers with the large locknut. They ALWAYS tighten properly without leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks