Help identifying toilet flange and how to repair

Users who are viewing this thread

kyncaith

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm doing a DIY remodel on a small bath and decided to replace a 50+ year old toilet. The problem is the bolts are completely corroded through. They don't appear to be regular closet bolts that slip in the tracks of the flange, so I'm not sure how they are attached to the flange. I believe the flange is cast iron. Any suggestions as to what kind of flange this is and how to replace these bolts? Thanks!

toilet-flange1.jpg
toilet-flange2.jpg
toilet-flange3.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Those may be in slots. Slide the bolts out radially if that is the case.

Cast iron is attracted to a magnet. You probably have cast iron. The yellow from the wax looks a little like brass.

kyncaith

Reaction score
Those may be in slots. Slide the bolts out radially if that is the case.

Cast iron is attracted to a magnet. You probably have cast iron. The yellow from the wax looks a little like brass.

My first thought was they were in slots, but after knocking on them with a hammer, they felt like they were a part of the flange.

After reading your post, I got a little more confidence, went back and got more aggressive with it. After knocking the crap out of them and working them with pliers, sure enough they slipped out. Thanks Reach4! Heading to Home Depot to find some closet bolts now.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, if the flange is properly positioned, the slots are the more secure way to attach a toilet.

Make sure your new bolts are either SS or solid brass, not plated steel.

kyncaith

Reaction score
FWIW, if the flange is properly positioned, the slots are the more secure way to attach a toilet.

Make sure your new bolts are either SS or solid brass, not plated steel.

Thanks jadnashua. I got solid brass. I also thought the flange should have been rotated to use the regular slots. Not sure why it was done that way. Oh well. I don't want to mess with the flange, so I'm just going to put the brass bolts in the same place as the originals.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks