Help Identifying this Elbow & Pipe material

Users who are viewing this thread

Nwoodard34

Reaction score
Hey guys, this forum has been a lot of help to me in the past and I am calling on the helpful experts here again if I may. This time for my well plumbing (just moved from the city out to the country and have little experience working on well systems). Couple of questions:

1. What is this ribbed/studded elbow called? I have never seen one with the ribs like that and couldn't find a match on Google or on the company's website
2. What type of material is this pipe made out of? I assume it is polyurethane? It is 1" according to the marking and is the piping that runs from the inlet at the wall down to the T-arrangement at the pressure tank.
3. Can I replace that piping with PEX?
4. Would PEX fit back over that joint with the worm clamp like is on there now, or would I need a different elbow?

Reason I want to replace it is because I couldn't get the dang thing disconnected from the elbow either up top where it comes in or down below where it connects to the T at the tank. I needed to remove it to replace the broken pressure switch, which was installed on the pressure tank T right up against it, so couldn't twist the switch off. I loosened the pipe up enough to where there is now a steady dripping of water coming out and I would just rather work with something easier for future maintenance.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Attachments

• 20210425_111755.jpg
    20210425_111755.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210423_164843.jpg
    20210423_164843.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 145

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
That is black poly pipe and the barb fitting might be nylon. PEX should not be used with the barb fitting.

Nwoodard34

Reaction score
That is black poly pipe and the barb fitting might be nylon. PEX should not be used with the barb fitting.

Alright, thanks for the response. I figured that would be the case for the PEX and that fitting. So to replace with pex, I'll need a new elbow. I found a couple sharkbites in 1/2" with a quick google search but nothing that is 1".

Would one of the big box stores likely have the suitable elbow for that?

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The barb fitting can easily be removed by softening the poly with a heat gun. BTW, there should be two jubilee clamps on that poly, not just one.

If you want to transition the poly to pex, you should replace the barb fitting with one that transitions to thread and then go from thread to pex. AFAIK there is not any sharkbite that goes directly onto poly.

Nwoodard34

Reaction score
The barb fitting can easily be removed by softening the poly with a heat gun. BTW, there should be two jubilee clamps on that poly, not just one.

If you want to transition the poly to pex, you should replace the barb fitting with one that transitions to thread and then go from thread to pex. AFAIK there is not any sharkbite that goes directly onto poly.

Excellent, I will give the heat gun a go to get it off. If I wanted to go ahead and do PEX, it would be something like this?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Genova-1-in-Dia-Insert-Combination-Elbow/3455038

I did not realize two jubilee clamps were needed on each joint. Do you arrange them side by side (basically touching) or as far apart as you can get them while still wrapping the elbow?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I did not realize two jubilee clamps were needed on each joint. Do you arrange them side by side (basically touching)...
Yes, touching. Arrange the gear clamp on opposite sides.

That fitting would transition barb to pipe thread. You still need to transition from pipe thread to pex.

I prefer to use a straight fitting to transition from barb to pipe thread. That way I don't actually have to remove the barb, just loosen the clamps so it can turn inside the poly pipe as I unthread the other end.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks