Help identifying old shower fixture

Users who are viewing this thread

Barb105

Reaction score
Hello! We are currently trying to replace a shower fixture. The one that the sales assistant at a certain hardware store assured us would fit, does not. Our fixture is very old, and has no identifying label. Can you help us figure out what brand it is and what may fit?

It is a little over 6x6 inches square and plastic covered in chrome. The center is a dial. It fits right over the plumbing hardware with 2 screws and the dial turns the water on and off and adjusts for hot and cold at the same time.

I am going to attach links to photos. Can anyone please help? We're stuck until we figure this out. :confused:
http://picasaweb.google.com/RonBarbS/Miscellaneous/photo#5215434588630813890
http://picasaweb.google.com/RonBarbS/Miscellaneous/photo#5215434588461387634
http://picasaweb.google.com/RonBarbS/Miscellaneous/photo#5215434589148882370
Thank you so much for any help you can offer. We would be eternally grateful. I took the faceplate to the store along with measurements and the photo of the hardware, and no one there could help me.

Barb

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hi Barb,
That shower mixer you have is an Elkay mixer.
If what you are trying to do is stop it from dripping out the showerhead then replacing the cartridge will do the trick.
You can get a new one from... http://www.arpny.com/
Click on "Single Lever Cartridges" to see the catalog and get the number.

If you are looking for trim to make it look like new post back... That's probably a bit more difficult.

You cannot mix and match in the world of tub/shower mixers. everything is brand and model specific. If you are remodeling this bath an upgrade replacement may be in order.

Barb105

Reaction score
Thanks so much!

Thank you SO much for the information!! It's not leaking or anything, it's just that the old one is so beaten up that it looks silly with our new tile. We were hoping to replace it with the same type of model b/c it's so expensive to have a plumber come in just to refit a new fixture even though it's easy to do. So you don't know any company that makes trim for this particular fitting?

Thanks!
Barb

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You have a shower which was not a widely sold brand/model. When the company stops making them ( many years ago ) the supply of parts starts to dry up. Fortunately, there are internal stems available today for almost anything, you just have to find one of the big suppliers, like Alfano. Replacement for the trim gets much more difficult. I have not seen any trim for that valve, but just keep asking the big suppliers and someone may have something.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A last resort might be to take the old trim to a refinisher; have it cleaned up and re-chromed. Check your local yellow pages for metal refinishers to see if anyone locally does that sort of work. Total costs, depends, might be cheaper to pay a plumber to replace with one meeting current codes (new require anti-scald technology), but you never know until you ask.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
For trim I'd see if Alfano has it or, 1 other source would be to call 1-866-473-6711 and see if they have it.

If they don't have it I would just say select a whole new one and have it installed. Truth be told you'd probably just get it all pretty with some expensive parts then have it fail and require replacement anyway.

May I suggest a Moen or, Delta... Both of which offer base models with lots of trim options and years of continued support with those options...
I have a Moen mixer in my bath that is over 30 years old and I can still get every part for it and even upgrade to the "in style" colors if I desired but I am a chrome kind of guy... Its the safe choice as it has been "in" since plumbing came indoors!

Last edited:

Barb105

Reaction score
:)

Thank you so much. All of your help has been invaluable! We had bought a price-pfister before realizing it wouldn't fit. We really liked the model. Does that seem like a good brand?

Thanks again!
Barb

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks