Help Identifying Kohler 3-Handle Faucet

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by BikeNHV, Oct 17, 2017.

1. BikeNHV

BikeNHV New Member

Hi All,

I have a Kohler 3-handle faucet that I think could use a rebuild. It will drip quite a bit into the tub when the diverter is set to shower and the water is on. To prevent dripping when the water is off, the valves need to be closed very, very tight. This was a rental for a long time and people clearly did not care to do this, so the tub is actually pitted due to this leak over the years.

I found a bunch of rebuild kits here, but none seems to match the look of my handles. Unfortunately I don't know the age or model. 1872 house, obviously not original.
    http://lincolnproducts.com/catalogs/bath-sink-repair/index.html

Ignore the cracked tile and crappy caulk job, that will be addressed when I deal with the faucet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. Smythers

Smythers New Member

(couldn't get that link to load up on my end)

If I read you correctly, you want to fix the leaks from the faucets and diverter. What I would do is take out one or both of the cartridges and the diverter valve stem then head on down to the local plumbing supplier or big box store. Kohler's got replacement parts out that will cover your old 1870's plumbing :)

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing...pair-Cartridges-Stems/KOHLER/N-5yc1vZcf5nZ1qh

Hope that helps.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. BikeNHV

BikeNHV New Member

Yup, that's correct. I'm assuming that I'll be replacing all 3 stems, which is fine.
    I was just hoping to identify it and buy parts in advance, as opposed to taking it apart and trying to match the parts. Less downtime of the shower (especially if there is a risk that parts aren't in stock).

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    It uses Valvet stem/cartridges for the hot and cold sides.

6. BikeNHV

BikeNHV New Member

Thank you. I have a few great supply houses nearby so I will check with them to see if they have the genuine Kohler parts, before I rip the faucet apart.

7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    1-800-4KOHLER for the parts.

8. Master Plumber Mark

Master Plumber Mark Master Plumber

Sensitivity trainer.. plumber of mens souls
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    You would be wise to change out the faucet....
    if you are going to mess with the tile anyway,
    I would advise you to just to change it....

I probably have those parts buried in a bin somewhere but have
    not used any of them for over 30 years. mostly because they are trouble
    and half the time I made the problem worse with the new parts

good luck

9. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

I admire folks who want to recondition old faucets. I also ask: why and what for?

Looking at your picture, I would recommend a new faucet and replacement of the broken tiles, for a low budget fix job.

If you have some more funds, gut the tiles to the studs...I can only imagine what you'll find...and start anew.

If you are handy, you can turn this to a very nice bathroom without spending a fortune. And if you run into obstacles you can't handle, you can always ask here for help.

10. BikeNHV

BikeNHV New Member

It's a thought. And it may happen regardless within a year or so. But I was looking for a quick fix with minimal downtime due to higher priority projects underway - in the process of building an entire kitchen from scratch (in an addition).

I just renovated the rest of the bathroom. Sink+plumbing, toilet, new floor tile, full rewire, fixtures, shower door, etc.

I expect that some of the plumbing may be brass, not copper, which I'm not experienced with. Had to call in help for the sink replacement for the same reason. That wall cavity is open underneath in the basement (typical old house thing, wall was added after since the house was built without bathrooms), I don't see any signs of water damage in there.