Help Identifying Drain Type

Users who are viewing this thread

ffattack

Reaction score
So I'm trying to identify what type of drain this is, because it's stuck shut right now, and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it. As you can see from the attached images, it has a spring, but no visible stopper, so I'm not really sure where the stopper is located. At least if I knew what it was called, I could do some more research.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpeg
    IMG_0096.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0098.jpeg
    IMG_0098.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 194

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The stopper WAS in the drain at the bottom of the tub, but apparently it was discarded. It had a fulcrum lever that the spring pushed down on to open the drain. You have to know the manufacturer because the drain plug are NOT "generic", or you remove the chrome drain fitting and install a new one with a push/pull stopper,

ffattack

Reaction score
The stopper WAS in the drain at the bottom of the tub, but apparently it was discarded. It had a fulcrum lever that the spring pushed down on to open the drain. You have to know the manufacturer because the drain plug are NOT "generic", or you remove the chrome drain fitting and install a new one with a push/pull stopper,

I've been using this for many years, so I know there was no stopper at the bottom of the drain, and there was no fulcrum inside the drain either. It's the strangest thing.

I don't have the manufacturer though. The big issue is that it won't currently drain, so I'm trying to figure out how I could possibly, at the very least, get it to drain.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ffattack

Reaction score
You can snake the line through the top overflow. That normally drops straight down into the p-trap below.
So this is where it gets even weirder, I did snake down the top overflow, and it was unimpeded. So when I turn on the faucet though, it overflows immediately, leading me to believe that the water is being stopped right where the drain meets the overflow pipe somehow, like it's a hallow cylinder or something.

Reach4

Reaction score
So this is where it gets even weirder, I did snake down the top overflow, and it was unimpeded. So when I turn on the faucet though, it overflows immediately, leading me to believe that the water is being stopped right where the drain meets the overflow pipe somehow,
You could test that theory by directing water right down the overflow.

Those with a cylinder/barrel/plunger usually don't have a spring on the linkage.

images

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
he "plunger" was on the end of a hinged fulcrum/rocker arm. When the spring pushed down the plunger came up and opened the drain. The plunger was SCREWED on to the arm so when it was discarded the arm went with it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
he "plunger" was on the end of a hinged fulcrum/rocker arm. When the spring pushed down the plunger came up and opened the drain. The plunger was SCREWED on to the arm so when it was discarded the arm went with it.

I was looking for a picture of that, and yes hj is correct, that part was there and tossed. Kohler made some like that.

ffattack

Reaction score
I didn't toss anything, there was never a fulcrum/rocker arm or plunger, I've been showering in there for 6 years now, so that's what I don't get, like I said, it's strange. I appreciate the help, I'll have to try and get a new spring mechanism, with the linkage to see if I can get this to work. Essentially the spring broke off and I had to fish it out with a hook, which is what prompted these issues.

I'm not sure when it was remodeled, maybe 40 years ago, and another shower has the same setup.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOU didn't toss it, but SOMEBODY did. Those drains are NOT "generic" so you need the "plug" and linkage for THAT DRAIN, or convert to a push/pull as I originally said. A different "spring" is not going to do anything because there is NOTHING for it to push against. Almost ALL companies made that type of drain at one time or another, not just Kohler.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks