Help Identifying Drain Type

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ffattack, Nov 14, 2018.

1. ffattack

ffattack New Member

So I'm trying to identify what type of drain this is, because it's stuck shut right now, and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it. As you can see from the attached images, it has a spring, but no visible stopper, so I'm not really sure where the stopper is located. At least if I knew what it was called, I could do some more research.

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    The stopper WAS in the drain at the bottom of the tub, but apparently it was discarded. It had a fulcrum lever that the spring pushed down on to open the drain. You have to know the manufacturer because the drain plug are NOT "generic", or you remove the chrome drain fitting and install a new one with a push/pull stopper,

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. ffattack

ffattack New Member

I've been using this for many years, so I know there was no stopper at the bottom of the drain, and there was no fulcrum inside the drain either. It's the strangest thing.

I don't have the manufacturer though. The big issue is that it won't currently drain, so I'm trying to figure out how I could possibly, at the very least, get it to drain.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You can snake the line through the top overflow. That normally drops straight down into the p-trap below.

6. ffattack

ffattack New Member

So this is where it gets even weirder, I did snake down the top overflow, and it was unimpeded. So when I turn on the faucet though, it overflows immediately, leading me to believe that the water is being stopped right where the drain meets the overflow pipe somehow, like it's a hallow cylinder or something.

7. Terry

Plumber
    [​IMG]

Some drains to have the barrel there.

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You could test that theory by directing water right down the overflow.

Those with a cylinder/barrel/plunger usually don't have a spring on the linkage.

[​IMG]

9. ffattack

ffattack New Member

And that's exactly the weird part, there's a spring on the linkage, so how would a spring open a plunger?

10. hj

Plumber
    he "plunger" was on the end of a hinged fulcrum/rocker arm. When the spring pushed down the plunger came up and opened the drain. The plunger was SCREWED on to the arm so when it was discarded the arm went with it.

11. Terry

Plumber
    I was looking for a picture of that, and yes hj is correct, that part was there and tossed. Kohler made some like that.

12. ffattack

ffattack New Member

I didn't toss anything, there was never a fulcrum/rocker arm or plunger, I've been showering in there for 6 years now, so that's what I don't get, like I said, it's strange. I appreciate the help, I'll have to try and get a new spring mechanism, with the linkage to see if I can get this to work. Essentially the spring broke off and I had to fish it out with a hook, which is what prompted these issues.

I'm not sure when it was remodeled, maybe 40 years ago, and another shower has the same setup.

13. hj

Plumber
    YOU didn't toss it, but SOMEBODY did. Those drains are NOT "generic" so you need the "plug" and linkage for THAT DRAIN, or convert to a push/pull as I originally said. A different "spring" is not going to do anything because there is NOTHING for it to push against. Almost ALL companies made that type of drain at one time or another, not just Kohler.