Help identify these shower stem cartridge valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Densefogg

Reaction score
Hi All,

Trying to replace old shower valves. Looked online and found some replacements that seem close but not this exact design, hoping someone here has encountered these before, and can identify make/model. They have outside thread for escutcheons but the owner threw those away long ago and they have now just caulked new escutcheons to the wall that were not intended for these stems. They also hacked off the stems and drilled holes in the shaft tip to install valve handles that were never intended for these stems. So no clue what original faucets/escutcheons looked like. Any ideas?

I found these 2 Price Pfister but how do I know which it is?

There are also these but how do I know if mine are 9H, 10I-8H, 12H?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0700.jpeg
IMG_0701.jpeg
IMG_0702.jpeg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Not PP at first sight.
Need to pull the cartridge to see.
The gland/packing nut doesn't look like any PP I've ever seen.
What did the trim look like, though it may have been aftermarket adapted trim.

Densefogg

Reaction score
Not PP at first sight.
Need to pull the cartridge to see.
The gland/packing nut doesn't look like any PP I've ever seen.
What did the trim look like, though it may have been aftermarket adapted trim.
Thanks @breplum, Unfortunately I don’t have original trim, previous owner of house used trim that was never intended for these valves. Next closest I could find is Central Brass, but even that doesn't look quite right:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yep I'm not familiar with many brands but that packing nut looks different than price pfister . I'd pull one and check if compatible. buying in a brick and mortar store a bit more money . I'd pull one and go local , I really don't know who is good to go to for old stuff in LA gotta be some good hardware or plumbing supply nearby . If its the money you want to save pull it go try to match it up figure out what you have and order online

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know. A guy on here named MarlinMan is an expert and a tremendous help to many in ID'ing faucets and valves PP was so common that just about 90 percent of 2 handle valves that were old from before the 80s seemed like they all were. I've done mostly new work since the 80s and now I do repair but its mainly fairly new stuff.

Densefogg

Reaction score
Hi All,

Trying to replace old shower valves. Looked online and found some replacements that seem close but not this exact design, hoping someone here has encountered these before, and can identify make/model. They have outside thread for escutcheons but the owner threw those away long ago and they have now just caulked new escutcheons to the wall that were not intended for these stems. They also hacked off the stems and drilled holes in the shaft tip to install valve handles that were never intended for these stems. So no clue what original faucets/escutcheons looked like. Any ideas?

I found these 2 Price Pfister but how do I know which it is?

There are also these but how do I know if mine are 9H, 10I-8H, 12H?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 84766View attachment 84767View attachment 84768
Hi @Marlinman I heard you’re good at identifying old stem hardware, any ideas on this one?

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is difficult to tell with any certainty. The cartridge will need to be removed. If this is a 3 valve you will need to remove the center diverter. Best guess at this point would be Central Brass. It does use a flat style packing nut.

Attachments

• stem_guide_by_length_pg-334.pdf
    77.8 KB · Views: 147

Densefogg

Reaction score
It is difficult to tell with any certainty. The cartridge will need to be removed. If this is a 3 valve you will need to remove the center diverter. Best guess at this point would be Central Brass. It does use a flat style packing nut.
Thanks @Marlinman, it's just a 2 valve, no diverter, I was hoping to ID this without pulling it out but looks like I will have to. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks