Help identify these fittings please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Beccabode

Reaction score
This is my first time posting on this forum. Have learned a lot from it over the years. Thank you to all who share their experience. I truly appreciate it!

I just bought a little, old house and want to ask your help to identify the fittings in this photograph from bottom to top, starting with the red valve (which is the main shut off) and working the way up past the meter. As you can see, it is leaking in at least one place. Looks like unions are what are leaking. This might be fun (?) for some of you plumbing sleuths.

Thanks!
Rebecca :)

Note: the first photos is an overview photo and the others are close up shots moving from shut off valve upward.

Main shut off fittings1.jpg
Main shut off fittings2.jpg
Main shut off fittings3.jpg
Main shut off fittings4.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The one with the red handle is a 1" gate valve with drain fitting. It's a small cap with rubber seal that unthreads and allows the piping above to drain down to that point. Don't lose the cap.

It then reduces down to 3/4" for the meter fittings.
I haven't see those here in Seattle done that way. Our meters are normally in the ground.
Maybe someone from PA has seen those.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "T" handle is the meter valve which is part of the meter yoke. Above the yoke there is a "Y" strainer which also appears to be integral with the yoke. The wire is maintain continuity if the meter yoke is removed. The yoke and integral components would usually be the property of the utility.

Beccabode

Reaction score
The "T" handle is the meter valve which is part of the meter yoke. Above the yoke there is a "Y" strainer which also appears to be integral with the yoke. The wire is maintain continuity if the meter yoke is removed. The yoke and integral components would usually be the property of the utility.

Thanks so much for the info, HJ. I will call the water co. Fingers crossed they take care of it. :)

Beccabode

Reaction score
The one with the red handle is a 1" gate valve with drain fitting. It's a small cap with rubber seal that unthreads and allows the piping above to drain down to that point. Don't lose the cap.

It then reduces down to 3/4" for the meter fittings.
I haven't see those here in Seattle done that way. Our meters are normally in the ground.
Maybe someone from PA has seen those.

Thanks, Terry.

Beccabode

Reaction score
Our those meters in the house? Where I live we don't have meters unless its commercial. And they to have an option of paying a set fee or installing a meter.
Yes. Its regular practice in residential around here in PA...at least in the homes I've ever lived/worked in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks