Help identify/remove shower faucet handle please.

Users who are viewing this thread

DougM

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove the handle from this shower faucet. This is a picture of the cold tap, and the hole in the center looks like it should take an allen key, perhaps... Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that any allen key will fit and "catch".
Does anyone know how to get this handle off, or what brand it may be? The house is from the mid 60's and I think this plumbing is original. The reason I'm trying to do this is to get the stem out to fix a drip.
Thanks for any help,
Doug
Shower_Faucet.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That style of handle normally has a screw on the end to hold it to the stem.
You may need a handle puller if it is stuck there.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Once the locking screw is removed (looks like it is), the corrosion and mineral deposits can almost weld it in place.

Look up a handle puller

DougM

Reaction score
Ahh, that would explain it. If the screw has already gone, it would explain my difficulty in getting an allen key to fit (slaps forehead).

Any guesses on the brand?
Thanks a lot.
Doug

Reach4

Reaction score
What is your objective? Repair a drip?

Did you understand the bit about a handle puller/faucet puller?

DougM

Reaction score
Yes, I understood the bit about the puller, and I now have one. The objective is, indeed, to repair a drip. I'll be visiting the house with the faucet tomorrow, and hopefully I'll be able to access the washer. I'm guessing there's a chance the seat is damaged, but I'll find out in due course.

DougM

Reaction score
To wrap this up, in case anyone reads it in future, one faucet handle came off with the puller (a Husky brand from Home Depot, which was all I could get on short notice), but the other was very badly stuck and was wasn't shifting even when the force was large enough to bend the "feet" of the puller. Unusually for me, I was quite patient and used some penetrating oil and let that soak in for a while. Eventually it, too, came off.
Thx, Doug

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, if mineral deposits, they tend to dissolve with application of some vinegar. It can take a bit of time and several applications. The weak acid in vinegar dissolves calcium based materials. Note, that includes cement and mortar, so be careful when using it. It will also etch marble and some other stone, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks