Help! I cannot get anything to seal bathtub and wall!

Users who are viewing this thread

kingoflondon

Reaction score
I had a new bathroom installed two years ago. Was a decent job, I was happy with the quality of most the work that was done. However...

The bathtub (which is also a shower stall) leaked. We established that the caulk had failed and when my wife takes her ridiculously long shower, water would seep through the side of the bath and we were getting damp patches on the ceiling below.

The contractor re-caulked. Was ok for a bit, then failed again.

I then recaulked myself. Was ok for a bit, then failed again.

I then tried using epoxy grout. Was ok for a bit, then failed again because the grout split in half.

I have caulked plenty of tubs before without any problem, I am relatively competent at doing this. I'm being very sure to remove all old caulk, clean properly, applying when bone dry, leaving a couple of days to set. I am applying the caulk with the bathtub filled with water so it's at its lowest.

The problem is the bath. It is pretty big, and when it's full of water, the bath is dropping maybe 3/4mm and this is causing the caulk/epoxy grout to fail.

What can I do! I see a product which is an adhesive caulk strip which seems like it might fit the bill, but the reviews are terrible as it comes unstuck easily. Perhaps if I used the strip and literally caulked it to the tub and wall perhaps? Would rather not have to remove the epoxy group, wouldn't even know where to start with that.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a new bathroom installed two years ago. Was a decent job, I was happy with the quality of most the work that was done. However...

The bathtub (which is also a shower stall) leaked. We established that the caulk had failed and when my wife takes her ridiculously long shower, water would seep through the side of the bath and we were getting damp patches on the ceiling below.

The contractor re-caulked. Was ok for a bit, then failed again.

I then recaulked myself. Was ok for a bit, then failed again.

I then tried using epoxy grout. Was ok for a bit, then failed again because the grout split in half.

I have caulked plenty of tubs before without any problem, I am relatively competent at doing this. I'm being very sure to remove all old caulk, clean properly, applying when bone dry, leaving a couple of days to set. I am applying the caulk with the bathtub filled with water so it's at its lowest.

The problem is the bath. It is pretty big, and when it's full of water, the bath is dropping maybe 3/4mm and this is causing the caulk/epoxy grout to fail.

What can I do! I see a product which is an adhesive caulk strip which seems like it might fit the bill, but the reviews are terrible as it comes unstuck easily. Perhaps if I used the strip and literally caulked it to the tub and wall perhaps? Would rather not have to remove the epoxy group, wouldn't even know where to start with that.

Has anyone had this problem before?
I say pull it. You probly have mold growing in the walls. If you tiled. The tiles will start poping off

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
The bad news: you're going to have to pull the tile and re-set the tub - and find a more-competent person to construct the shower. A properly-constructed shower should be waterproof before the tile is installed.

kingoflondon

Reaction score
One other thing - I am applying the caulk with the bathtub filled with water so that it
I say pull it. You probly have mold growing in the walls. If you tiled. The tiles will start poping off

Appreciate the advice, but isn't this a bit drastic?

Right now I have cut a thin strip of duct tape around the bath and there are no problems. Seems like if I could find a more attractive and long term solution then I could save myself the hassle and expense?

If I did want to avoid such a big job, are there really no other options?

Reaction score
Appreciate the advice, but isn't this a bit drastic?
The question is: do you want to do this now when things are calm and planned, or later on an emergency with more costlier collateral damage that results from this shoddy work?

Take a look some of the Schluter-Systems videos on youtube. As you watch these, you will see what WASN'T done to your shower.

You have to pull everything out and re-do properly to manufacturers' instructions.

If you don't, you're just going to hoard water behind the walls, as well as whatever is under the tub. I bet there is 2 years worth of water damage, rot, and mold under that.

kingoflondon

Reaction score
The question is: do you want to do this now when things are calm and planned, or later on an emergency with more costlier collateral damage that results from this shoddy work?

Take a look some of the Schluter-Systems videos on youtube. As you watch these, you will see what WASN'T done to your shower.

You have to pull everything out and re-do properly to manufacturers' instructions.

If you don't, you're just going to hoard water behind the walls, as well as whatever is under the tub. I bet there is 2 years worth of water damage, rot, and mold under that.

I appreciate your honesty. Obviously this is hard to hear! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have any access to the space under the tub? I am wondering if you could inject some mortar or other material. I have no relevant experience, and I don't have other materials or techniques in mind.

I am thinking that if the problem all stems from the flexing, and you could get strategic piles of mortar in place, perhaps via holes from below, this could work without being ripped out.

kingoflondon

Reaction score
Do you have any access to the space under the tub? I am wondering if you could inject some mortar or other material. I have no relevant experience, and I don't have other materials or techniques in mind.

I am thinking that if the problem all stems from the flexing, and you could get strategic piles of mortar in place, perhaps via holes from below, this could work without being ripped out.

I don't, but the tub sits against an internal wall and so to cut a hole in it wouldn't be a huge issue to fix. Thanks for the suggestion, I will mention when I get a contractor out to look at this.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I agree with the others, that the Tub/Shower was not installed properly. The caulk, grout, and tile is not the waterproofing surface. It needs to be waterproofed before the tile is applied. The tile and grout (and caulk) is just cosmetic. Your re-caulking efforts may delay the repair/tear-out, but won't prevent it.

I suggest you ask your question over at the John Bridge (tiling) forum: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the tub is settling 3/4" then it was NOT installed properly and there is NOTHING that will keep a tub full of water from settling and pulling the caulk apart, and NOTHING with will "stretch" 3/4" to not separate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks