Help! I am trying to remove the square bolts info a old farm house well. It appears to be cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Weis

Reaction score
please help! How do I remove this lid or boots. Which ones should i remove? This is a old well I rural iowa. I want to inspect to see if I can use this well. It had not been used in years. When I unhooked the preassure tank there was still preassure. I really want to see if the water table is still high enough. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20171013_150102.jpg
    20171013_150102.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 308

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You might be able to remove the pipe plug on the right and see down the well. That is a two pipe well seal being used for only one pipe with a submersible pump down the well. So I don't think there is anything hanging on the pipe on the right side. The pipe on the left is holding up the sub pump. You can disconnect the pipe, loosen (only) the four bolts around the seal, and pull the seal with pump and pipe all at the same time. The seal will be stuck and the pump/pipe will be heavy. You will need to lift it all at the same time.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you do use this well for drinking water, you should have the casing extended above ground about a foot (rules vary), and a pitless adapter installed below the frost line. The reason is that pits flood, and well seals don't seal that well.

A side view might provide more information. It is not clear to me that the square heads might not be a plug on the end of a tee on the left and a coupler on the right.

Mark Weis

Reaction score
You might be able to remove the pipe plug on the right and see down the well. That is a two pipe well seal being used for only one pipe with a submersible pump down the well. So I don't think there is anything hanging on the pipe on the right side. The pipe on the left is holding up the sub pump. You can disconnect the pipe, loosen (only) the four bolts around the seal, and pull the seal with pump and pipe all at the same time. The seal will be stuck and the pump/pipe will be heavy. You will need to lift it all at the same time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks