Help - how much stub needed for new shut-off valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lvrpl

Reaction score
I need to replace a couple of shut-off valves in a bathroom with newer quarter-turn valves. If I plan to use compression fit shut-off valves (and cut off the old ones that are on there now), how much stub do I need sticking out past the wall and escutcheon in order to get a standard compression shut-off on and sealed properly? Is 1" enough? Is it possible to do it with less, say 3/4" of stub?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It somewhat depends on the brand you select, but 1" would likely be safe, 3/4" would be tight, and neither one would likely work if you want to install an escutcheon on the wall to hide the hole around the pipe coming out of the wall. To be safe, the pipe must be bottomed out to the stop inside of the valve, and not all of them are the same depth. Then, you have different thicknesses of compression nuts and need some additional depth to have room to get it on before tightening it. The installation instructions don't seem to mention it except for push-on fittings, and those often want about 1-1/8", but again, not all are the same (you tend to need more length for a push-0n than a compression to stabilize the pipe and fitting).

Note, if the old ones are soldered on, you can unsolder them, and clean up the pipe end, then, should have enough depth for a compression one (or reinstall a new solder one). If they're threaded...just buy new threaded ones.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks