HELP! how do you position a right angle fitting at 12 o'clock?

Users who are viewing this thread

rkscpa

Reaction score
i have a right angle tapered thread brass fitting that must be at 12 oclock
hand tight it stops at 1 o clock and wrenching only goes a hair more so it has to be backed out to 12 o clock
this makes for a leak and also it rubs against another part
any ideas? this must be a common problem with threaded fittings that need to be in a precise position
i cant see try to tighten from 1 o clock all the way around to 12 o clock almost 1 full turn, i think it will go to 2 or 3 o clock max
thanks for your help

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally you have two ends of a pipe nipple to work with. If that is the case, remove the nipple, wrap both ends with tape and try it again.

rkscpa

Reaction score
no in this case, it is a brass rt angle fitting, tapered male that threads into a tapped female hole. the other end must face straight up and is a flare nut female
the male thread just happens to snug at 1 oclock , the worst poss place, too loose to back off and too tight to make another revolution
thanks!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
hand tight it stops at 1 o clock and wrenching only goes a hair more...

Can't say I ever came across not being able to do a full turn beyond hand tight. That said, at times I had to mix-and-match components to get the desired result.

Worst case one time it took a thread chaser to get a smidgen more.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would try another fitting with the hopes that the threads were started in a different position. Or like LL said, run a tap into the female and deepen the threads a bit.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless the actual threads are lousy or the part is defective, you can almost always make at least another turn from hand tight - often more.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you cannot turn it the rest of the way, the fitting may be "bottoming out" inside the female thread, in which case you probably have defective thread on one of the two pieces.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I would be applying a good thread sealant like Megaloc on top of the teflon tape.

rqlf.jpg

Last edited:

rkscpa

Reaction score
thanks, more comments

thanks to everyone for your help,
an update - i ran the rt angle in finger tight, and it doesn't leak, i'm keeping an eye on it but this is a little scary. i'll start over when i have more time

solutions
i was thinking, maybe the parts are designed so that they cinch up at a pre determined position, if you tap x.xxx inches deep and the rt angle thread cut is standardized, it will lock up where you want? so a new rt angle may work, NPTF (fuel) threads deform to create a seal so maybe they need to be replaced and not reused

try other parts - most feasible, i'm planning to buy 10 rt angles and try em,
fuel thread sealant - supposedly not necessary for NPTF but they sell it so i'll try some if i can't get a good seal (aviation form a gasket no 3)
tapping deeper - difficult in that it take a little skill and have to make sure you have NPTF tap, it would be easier to run a die of the male and it won't leave shavings inside the female port
more tape - i was told many times that tape is not good for fuel lines, can break loose and clog downstream, in some cases it's banned, i'll use sealant if needed
one more turn - it is really tight at 1 oclock, i think i have spare female parts that i can try this on but not comfortable trying on new ($150), i sense that i am putting about 20-30 lbs on the fitting, i've done quite a few fuel fittings and w NPTF you don;t need to overload, it snugs right away. NPT (pipe thread) will go that extra turn because there's a gap bet the threads, hence the need for dope or teflon to seal,

thanks for the help !!!!!!

rkscpa

Reaction score
Terry,
thanks for checking in, i think diff is the NPT vs NPTF as i noted above. the NPTF (fuel) is a dry seal and seals by deforming the threads so they are tight. the NPT (pipe thread) seals with teflon or liquid sealant so it will turn the full turn. if you've ever put a fuel line of fitting in, if there is no friction or hose binding the fitting, they will not go go very far past hand tight . i'll reply when i have more updates, thx all

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks