HELP! Have to rebuild kitchen after truck plowed through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

kjj254

Reaction score
Howdy Folks ! New member here, been looking around this site some and looks like this is the place.

Anyway on August 17th a Ford F-150 pickup launched off the slope of my front yard, crashed through the front kitchen window and continued on until his front wheels were on the patio in back of the house.

Slide show here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN1ozoBV9-A

[video=youtube;SN1ozoBV9-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN1ozoBV9-A[/video]
Along the way he wiped out the kitchen sink, water risers, waste and vent stack, washing machine drain, etc. I rigged a temporary vent from the broken 2" cast iron back to what was left of the vent stack the next day, and yes duct tape was involved.

I've since gotten the framing work done and have started re-plumbing. I was able to get the broken off lead barrel trap out of the hub and install an adapter gasket and 2" PVC. About a foot up I reduced to 1-1/2", put in a sanitary tee and continued up and out the roof with 1-1/2".

Is this acceptable or should it be 2" the whole way ??? Oh, and washing machine drain and basement sump pump tie in 12" below sharing this vent. (Is this a 'wet vent' ? )

Waco, TX uses IPC.

I am an electrician, not a plumber, and I need lots of help in this regard. This is the first of many questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer will need a 2" p-trap and stand pipe, 1.5" vent will work.
The kitchen sink needs to be 2", and then a 1.5" p-trap. These two need to be vented separately, and then the vents can tie back together at 42" from the floor.
The sump pump can tie in below all of that. Some codes will let you use 2" for the washer and the sink combined.
Adding the sump pump, a lot of inspectors would like to see 3" pipe.
Some codes require 3" if you have a washer.

dwv_b2.jpg

kjj254

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for the quick reply, sorry it took so long to acknowledge it. So I do need another vent, well to 42" anyway, Thanks.

I can do that anywhere above, such as in the attic if easier ???

@ Redwood: Yes, he did, but I didn't have homeowners. Imagine rebuilding a kitchen on only 25K... gotta do a lot myself to make
them numbers work.

@Terry, after many laundry room mop-ups after the sump and washer dumped at the same time, I would love to see a 3"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While he may not have enough insurance to cover the repair, he IS responsible for ALL of the repair, regardless. Now, whether you can get that money out of him is another story altogether!

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
How come he's insurance company is only paying you $25,000? They insured this fool driving on the road and he happened to crash into your house. They should have to pay for that, regardless of what they're offer. Sue both the driver and the insurance company.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In some states, including CA, the law allows a very minimal liability of 15/30. That isn't enough to replace someone's Lexus if you totalled it, and it is not enough to fix that house. His insurance will probably just cash you out for the policy max. you will have to fall back on your own insurance, and sue him if you think he has anything.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Wow that's brutal!!! Here we have a minimum $1,000,000 liability and for like $25 more per year you can have $2,000,000 coverage. I wouldn't like to drive around knowing that someone could total my vehicle and I'd get 1/2 of what its worth because they chose to have crappy insurance.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Wow, I wish I lived in Canada. The most I can get around here (and I've tried to max it out) is $100,000 for property damage. I pay $1000 every 6 months to drive an old Toyota.

I never did like F150s though. First they heat up the planet and then this!

Proper insurance shouldn't have liability limits. That's what needed. Like in England.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Really a shame, but in all fairness, I have to put some blame on you for going without homeowner's insurance. What would you be up against if someone had an accident on your property and sued you? Or, if your house burned? Or a thief broke in and stole your valuables? I certainly agree that motorists should carry more than a minimum amount of liability insurance, but since not all do, we all have to cover ourselves. Just a month ago, my house tangled with a F350! Didn't take out my kitchen, and the damage was not all that serious. Still came to about $6K and his insurance paid it. Last summer I was hit in a intersection by an uninsured driver. Fairly minor damage to my car, but the other car she hit was totaled. I carry uninsured/under insured coverage so I was fully compensated for that one too. Hope you can get your house restored without too much out of pocket.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
This is how I got one Ford F-350 off the road.

The rest of the story, as my recently passed away friend, Paul Harvey would say, is this.

3:00 a.m. Dec. 7, 1994. I was just coming back from unplugging a drain at the local Carl's Jr. store, (which subsequently stiffed me on the bill by selling the store). As I approached a cross street the '78 Camaro, which was at a stop sign, waited until I got right to the intersection and then pulled out in front of me. I hit the brakes, spun the wheel to the right, just missed his rear end, and the straightened the steering wheel. I looked up and there was concrete block wall in front of me. That was the last I saw, because when I hit it the headlights were gone. When the truck stopped it was down in the front, so I assumed I was sitting on a mound in someone's back yard. I opened the door to get out and water came in. At first I thought that they were one of the people who watered their yard by flooding it, but then realized I was in a swimming pool. I called 911 and told her that someone had just pulled out in front of me and ran me into a swimming pool. She asked me where I was and I told her I was in the truck. She asked if I could get out of the truck and I told her maybe, it depended on whether I was at the shallow end or the deep one. Holding onto the steering wheel I stepped out of the truck and found the water was only 3' deep. I told her I was out of the truck and in the pool. She asked if I could get out of the pool and I told her yes, but then I would have to hang up the phone because it only had a short cord, (this was before cell phones). She then asked what my location was and I told her it was between these two main streets, but not sure the exact one. She said they had a report of a vehicle accident at this one location, and I told her that must be the one because I doubt that there were two of us with the same problem. She said to get out of the pool because she had help on the way. The Barney Fife lady officer wanted to give me a ticket, but her partner told here, "Look, you can see his tire marks where he tried to avoid hitting something, and the neighbor said the Camaro pulled off to the side and looked over the fence before driving away." The occupants of the house were foreigners who did not speak much English so they asked their neighbor to check it out and see if there was a dead body in the truck because it was like a bomb had gone off when all the block debris started hitting their patio glass door. I told the towing company to take it to the local Ford dealer for storage and I went home to eat breakfast. I had waited until I knew my family would be up before calling them. A few hours later I called the dealer to see if the truck was there, and it wasn't. I thought maybe the towing company had taken it to their yard where it would be stripped in a matter of hours, but they were still trying to get it out of the pool. At first they thought they would need a crane to lift it out because it had to come out the exact path it went in. But eventually they were able to rig the cables to lift it out onto the ground. But, they had busted the steering mechanism by that time,so they had to jack it up, straighten the wheels, pull it back three feet, jack it up, straighten the wheels, and so on. In addition, I had sheared off a watering riser outside the fence which flooded the area so the tow truck could not get any traction in the mud. It only took a few seconds to get the truck in there, but about 8 hours to get it out. My insurance agent, where I had just switched companies, was working out at the local gym when he saw the helicopter pictures and he thought, "Boy some agent is going to have an interesting claim", and when he got to the office he found out it was him.

kjj254

Reaction score
Howdy Again. Been doing some work on the house. Have an upstairs/downstairs picture of new DWV piping.

See any Ugh-Ohs ??? washer stack to ptrap is more than 30" is this a serious issue ??? (its about 46")

1-1/4 from middle left is sump pump line (yes it needs 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 adapter, this stuff still mostly dry fit )
coming in above 2" washer OK or no

Attachments

• kitch_plumb_updn_low.jpg
    kitch_plumb_updn_low.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 253

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, I see a few problems there that are sawzall worthy...

What is that trap below the floor for?

That laundry and sink thing in the 1st picture can you by any chance label what all these drains are for?

At this point you need to come up with some kind of diagram of what you intend to do before wasting any more pipe and fittings.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer p-trap may siphon itself dry.
There is a reason for keeping the p-trap on the same floor, and not having the standpipe too long.

washer_rough_1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks