Help finding right size to buy for this garden hose mender

Users who are viewing this thread

Imcool

Reaction score
Hello TLF members,

Hope you are doing good,

I am unable to figure out size for my garden hose thread female mender tap connector,
Can you help figuring out the size so I can buy female mender thread tap connector which i can put pipe onto. Please check photos for existing female mender I have which fits into male mender but I have no idea what size is existing one so i cant buy new female mender, please share product link if you can. Appreciate your response.

imcool-04.jpg

imcool-05.jpg

imcool-06.jpg

imcool-09.jpg

imcool-07.jpg

Thank you

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
thanks for replying but I still don't know which size to buy :(
Are you saying the store has more than one thread?

I could see the other end (where the hose connects) varying to match the ID of the hose, but not the thread.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score

Imcool

Reaction score
Garden Hose Thread is standard. It is the ID of the hose that varies between 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4". My guess is you have 5/8" hose. You cannot determine the ID by measuring the OD since wall thickness can vary.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yardworks-hose-repair-mender-female-end-0591107p.html#srp
i see, i will cut the hose and measure the internal diameter, I have to cut it anyways. Thanks so much for providing the link, I will get back on this tommorow morning.

Imcool

Reaction score
please check the hose pipe internal size and let me know what size is it. it seems 16.8 but could be 17mm as well as pipe is not completely round shape from inside.

imcool-10.jpg

imcool-11.jpg

Regards

Reach4

Reaction score
16.8/25.4=0.661, which is what I would expect to see if you poked the inch/mm button.
5/8=0.625
3/4=0.750
Your measurement is between those. So if you got an adapter made to repair either 5/8” or 3/4” garden hoses, that should be good.

Bannerman

Reaction score
could be 17mm as well as pipe is not completely round shape from inside.
Hoses are often slightly oval shaped which is why the article specified measuring the internal diameter by determining which wood dowel matching the 3 diameters listed, most closely matches the hose diameter.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am leaning toward 5/8.

That protrusion into the middle of the extrusion is troubling. I wonder if snipping that off, as best as you can, before applying the repair adapter would be a good idea. I am thinking some small diagonal cutters.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello TLF members,

Hope you are doing good,

I am unable to figure out size for my garden hose thread female mender tap connector,
Can you help figuring out the size so I can buy female mender thread tap connector which i can put pipe onto. Please check photos for existing female mender I have which fits into male mender but I have no idea what size is existing one so i cant buy new female mender, please share product link if you can. Appreciate your response.

Thank you

There's gotta be something hella special about your garden hose. Just buy a new one and be done with it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
That protrusion into the middle of the extrusion is troubling. I wonder if snipping that off, as best as you can, before applying the repair adapter would be a good idea.
Not just a good idea but absolutely necessary to get a good seal. I use a 5/8" drill bit to remove it. A 3/4" bit would work better.

drill-bit-38.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks