Help finding a vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

azura

Reaction score
Where do you go to find inexpensive basic vanities that aren't total pieces of crap? :confused:
I've looked at Lowe's and Home Depot and I just can't bring myself to buy one there. They are ok...but a vanity is a big part of the bathroom and I want to see all the options.
Where did you guys get yours? I am looking for a 60x21 so we can do 2 sinks.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can actually order from the same manufacturers that make Kitchen Cabinets. The "Off the Shelf" cabinets are definitely cheap, but you really need to order Custom Cabinets if you want something that looks nicer.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you get to that size, you may need a special. The following method gets you custom sizes at no extra cost.

1. A complete rectangular front panel was fabricated in the shop. The doors, drawers, and end panels were all made in the shop. There were provisions for "scribe to fit" and moldings where panels met the wall.

2. A plywood base was put down, with a toe space and support rail on the wall.

3. End panels and shelves were attached directly to the wall and the front panel with additional supports as necessary.

4. The countertop was fitted and attached to the cabinet front and walls. You can get your choice of countertops.

The fabricator came to the house, made his measurements, and did most of the work in the shop. Installation went pretty quickly.

When they were built (1965), the cost was about the same as "store bought" prefabricated units and the quality was much better.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
One fact you must face. The reason those box store vanities are pieces of crap is they are made of cheap material and cheap construction methods. If you want something that will last and be nice looking 20 years from now, you will have to pay more for it. On the plus side, these are not really high tech or complicated to make. Any cabinet shop can make you one. It won't be as cheap as the crap ones at the box store, but it won't tear you a new one.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
options...

I have never seen anything at big box worth looking at twice---including the "higher end" models at any price.. j u n k.

My baths are >medium size<
I did the math on wasted negative square footage of the cabinents and I found that in my case switching to pedestal was the way to go. I opted for a suite. It opened up the whole space in a big way.

I put the Kohler Memoirs suite (pedestal sink/toilet) on top of my Mexican Saltillo tile. Added the memoirs accesories on walls
looks great...

Last edited:

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Wait until you go furniture shopping!!!!

We have been trying to furnish an addition, can't believe the trash they are trying to sell. We have become a real throw away society!

Paul

Gencon

Renovator
Reaction score
Website
gencon.piczo.com
If you want to put 2 sinks in a 60" cabinet , you will definitely have to go custom made. A stock 60" vanity will have drawers in it which will interfere with the 2 sinks.
You can combine 2 -30", double door cabinets to make a 60" and still get the 2 sinks in , though.
Really nothing wrong with HDs higher end stuff. HD does not make it. I have had their Thomasville line in my kitchen and bath for almost 5 years now and have had no problems whatsoever.Very happy with them.
I have installed probably every line they carry and the basic rule is-you get what you pay for.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cabinets

Do you realize the difference in labor costs between 1965 and today? The cost of a custom made cabinet will not be anywhere near that of a ready made one in 2006. Two 30" cabinets will make a 60" one, but a well designed 60" cabinet will have drawers or other area in the middle.

azura

Reaction score
We finally decided on a vanity and we had to go with a special order vanity.

The ready made ones with pressed board are just too cheap so we went for a bit more expensive one.
It's a HD special order 60" from MasterBath. It should be nice. :D

BennyBaby

Reaction score
I have the same problem, everything below a 1000 bucks out there is junk.
I made a major mistake when remodeling, I decided that I had about 46 inches of space that could be used for my sink/vanity, so I purchased a swanstone 43 inch top with sink, 36 and 48 standard sizes were too small or big. OK, swanstone makes a 43 inch top, but there are very few manufacturers out there that offer a 42 inch base.
My solution...I am about to build my own vanity, from real wood, I have no other option unless I want to spend 1200 for Chinese junk that will fall apart in a steamy bathroom.
I cruised the big box stores and the local plumbing fixture places, they all wanted too much money.

JamesG

Reaction score
The problem you will run into with shop built cabinets is the finishing. I know factory cabinets have a lot of part. board in them but ply-wood comes apart when it gets wet too. Take a look at some higher end factory cabinets I think you will find the finish far better then any shop canbinet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks