Help - Dishwasher + Ice Maker Drain hookup

Users who are viewing this thread

cs77

Reaction score
Hi, I have an Ice maker and dishwasher that I need to hook up to a bar sink (single) without a garbage disposal.

I have a tailpiece for one of the drain hoses but need assistance hooking up the second ice maker drain line.

In the pic you can see the second drain hose hanging in the back. Someone recommended a sink basket strainer with inlet for the second, however, I cannot find one in the USA. Seems to be very common in the UK.

Seems like an overly simple problem that is kicking my butt :). Any advice would be helpful.

FWIW, i did try a dual inlet airgap but the thing just kept leaking...

Attachments

• IMG_5465.jpeg
    IMG_5465.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 11,925

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Someone recommended a sink basket strainer with inlet for the second,

I have never heard of one, and cannot imagine how it could be attached to a sink, or function if the drain stopper was inserted.

Reach4

Reaction score
That UK page has some unusual stuff...:eek:
strapMC-120x120.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That strainer would work once you figured out how to connect the ice maker to it. Normally it would only come in a package with the overflow fitting.

cs77

Reaction score
That strainer would work once you figured out how to connect the ice maker to it. Normally it would only come in a package with the overflow fitting.

I have tried to purchase locally in the US, however, cant seem to find anyone who sells it.

cs77

Reaction score
Would a 3/4" 45 degree wye fitting with short lengths of copper pipes soldered on work? Your two drain lines are 7/8" which will fit on 3/4 copper pipe. You would need a short piece of 7/8" hose to attach wye to drain pipe with hose clamps.

http://www.nibco.com/Fittings/Metal...-Pressure-Fittings/749-45-Wye-C-x-C-x-C-Cast/

Hmmm...interesting. I think it may. I assume it would pass inspection as long as both drain lines are attached high preventing backflow...will give it a shot.

SHR

Reaction score
Where I am at an air gap is required for all ice maker drain lines so a direct connection is not permitted. I often use this part and a similar set-up.

example_1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks