Help - Delta Single Handle kitchen faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I have a Delta single handle kitchen faucet about 5 years old. It would drip some times when it was shut off.

I installed a Delta kit to replace the seats and o-rings. I noticed when I put the swivel faucet back that it was hard to turn. This was before I installed anything on top. I had replaced the 2 o-rings. I double checks the location of the o-rings and they appear to be in the right place.

I found a video on the web that indicated maybe I should use a silicone grease on the o-rings and seats. I did that but it did not help the swivel faucet move any better. The hand lever works great and no drips. But it is too hard to move the swivel faucet from left to right.

There is no rust or corrosion on the faucet.

Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
For sure, silicone grease or waterproof faucet grease should be used on the orings. Did the thickness of the orings match the the old ones?

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I believe it is a model 470 single hande pull out faucet. I could only find one repair it listed in the book. I noticed when I put the o-rings on that the fixture has two ridges on the bottom where the bottom o-ring should go. On the top there is just a "shoulder" for the bottom of the o-ring to rest. No top ridges at all for the o-ring. I think the o-ring is sliding off the shoulder when I slide the swivel faucet over the valve. I didn't see any filings like the ridges were worn off.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Installed new o-rings again

Here is a picture of the faucet.

I installed new o-rings again. It is a little better now, but not perfect.

As you can see the top has no ribs to hold the o-ring in place. Just the ledge. When I try to slip the faucet over the base it gets stuck about 1/2" from the bottom. Then I think the o-ring tries to roll down the side of the valve.

I used a little more sylicone and wiggled the faucet back and forth and got it to go down all the way.
It still isn't smooth but I guess it will do.

I looked at othere delta valves and they have obvious brass rings on the valve to hold the o-rings in place. This one is just a poor design. My opinion anyway.

Attachments

• delta.jpg
    delta.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,870

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The o-ring looks too fat...but in any event, for the model 470, the Delta number for the o-rings is RP32520. Make sure to get a genuine Delta part, and not a generic.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
the 470 only uses ONE "O" ring at the bottom. The top "washer" is called a "V" ring and is part of the bonnet. Since there is NO water flowing through the "spout" it does not REQUIRE any "O" rings, but the single one is used to provide minimal resistance and keep it from turning too easily. There is no "notch" for a top one because there is NOT supposed to be one there. That is why it turns hard.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The 470-DST uses bonnet and V-rings, as hj describes. But according to my Delta parts book, the "old" 470, with SS ball, which is what op's photo shows, uses 2 of RP32520, one low and one up top. So I don't know for sure what is what, except perhaps he has the wrong o-ring.
At this point I suggest op call Delta ( 1-800-345-Delta) to clear it up. They might even send the parts.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the spout needed two "O" rings, and I do not know why it would except to stabilize it, there would be a groove for it. And even if it DID use the second "O" ring, it would NOT be "needed" since there is no water flowing through to spout. When I find a spout like that which is "tight", I remove the "O" ring entirely. The spout moves "freely", but that is better than not moving at all.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I received an email back from Delta Customer Support. I sent them a picture of the faucet and valve.
"If the repair kit you purchased locally was the RP3614 repair kit, then the o-rings in the repair kit will not fit your faucet model.
Please do not install the o-rings that come in the repair kit package. The o-rings for the Model 470 Pull-out kitchen faucet would be RP32520."
The lst few responses to this thread were on the right track!
If you look at the parts list at Lowe's or ********* it will tell you you need kit RP3614 as stated earlier in this post.
But that kit is apparantly for a newer version of the Model 470. The RP32520 kit has 2 o-rings. My assembly originally had 2 o-rings. Even though it appears to need only one.
I used the 2 o-rings in the RP32520 kit. The spout now swivels like it's on ball bearings!
If Delta is going to change the design, they should change the model number. Or at least update the parts lists in the home centers.
Hope this post helps the next amatuer plumber.

Big thanks to everyone who responded to this post!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We are very happy that you go this fixed. The problem here is you have to know the ENTIRE Delta model number. There are DOZENS of versions of 470. What you were finding was parts for various versions of 470-DST. You have a plain old 470.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks