Help Choosing Toilets For New Construction

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've seen customers supplied bowls from Kohler and American Standard that would have required 1/2" shims to keep them from rocking.
I refused to install them.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I've seen customers supplied bowls from Kohler and American Standard that would have required 1/2" shims to keep them from rocking.
I refused to install them.

I will install anything a customer will give me as long as it meets code and no one can get hurt and have them sign off on a form I have that says I do not warranty customer supplied plumbing parts, supplies. In the case of a water closet needing 1/2" shims I would of refused as well.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I have bought 4 American Standard toilets in the last few months from two different stores. All of them have been Grade A (flawless) and work perfectly. The ceramic is perfect, no flaws in the glaze, no repairs, no cracks, no rocking and they sit perfectly level. They are a very high quality product. I am a very picky person and will not accept anything new which has the slightest flaw.

I checked into Toto before buying American Standard and found that they were too expensive and did not perform as well. I bought three cadet 3 1.28 gallon flush and one Champion 4 1.6 gallon flush. The Champion 4 performs so well that I have adjusted the water level as low as it will go to conserve water. It has never clogged and the bowl has never required cleaning.

The three Cadet 3s are one piece toilets and are absolutely beautiful. I will post some pictures when I get around to it. I bought the Watersense version since there is currently a $100 each rebate from my water company. They perform extremely well - no clogs, and no cleaning necessary. The bowl wash is very effective and the everclean surface stays spotless.

I can honestly say that these toilets perform better in every way than the three 3.6 gallon and one 5 gallon flush toilets they replaced.

All four of the toilets I bought have MAP ratings of 1000. I am not aware of any Toto toilet that has a MAP rating of 1000. I think Toto could learn a few things from American Standard.

I am not going to criticize Toto - they make a great product, but I personally prefer the performance, price and quality combination that I got. I have two more toilets to buy and they most certainly will be American Standard.

Well it can be a Grade B water closet and you would have no idea. They x-ray the water closets to ensure that their are no defects in the casting in the parts that the naked eye can not see. Now I am not saying a big box store does not get Grade A water closets, but they will not be selling the Grade A types for 50 bucks.

I never knocked American Standard, or any other brand for that matter. There are two brands I will steer clear from for personal reasons one is Crane and the other is Eljer. They are the only two that make their trap ways with such sharp turns in it that auguring them is a pain at times. Other than that They seem to work well for people that love them brands. If people call me asking for me to buy them a water closet and intall it I come with a Kohler Wellworth, and never had any complaints.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Now that Tom has bought some toilets for his home. he's the expert on toilets.
I sell and or install about three thousand toilets a year.
You have a bit of catching up to do Tom.

I'm just waiting for the flappers to go bad, they do you know.
You've had them two weeks?

I've seen plenty of product that would be good for two weeks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks