Help choose / source floating level switch for well

Users who are viewing this thread

olmec

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for advice on a type of switch required to control a well pump so it does not pump dry.

I have a 150mm diameter well with a 1.5WK 230v jet pump at the top. There are 2 pipes going down into the well. It seems there must be some kind of floating level switch that can turn the pump off when the level drops to far and back on when the water 'recharges' the well.

Maximum depth to water level is about 15 meters before pump runs dry.

Basically I would like the pump to be taking water from the well whenever their is water available to take it, but not run dry.

What is the recommended solution here, what is is called and any suggestions on where to source this...?

Many thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
You probably want to feed power to the pump via a device that monitors the current flow to the centrifugal pump. When the pump is not sucking water, the current drops. The device cuts the power to the pump for an interval that you select.

See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-protect-well-pump-from-dry-running.38286/

You should consider going to a submersible pump when your current system needs major replacement. It will draw maybe half of the power, it will be much quieter, and it never needs priming.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pull the lines and put a 34' long tailpipe between the jet assy & footvalve and the pump won't lose prime.

Reach4

Reaction score
Pull the lines and put a 34' long tailpipe between the jet assy & footvalve and the pump won't lose prime.
Would the pump stay cooled due to water flow, even though the well water had dropped too much to pump?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there's water going through the pump it should stay cool enough to not burn up the seals. Far better than having it lose prime and run dry....

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
Hello Olmec,

I have an idea that you may wish to at least investigate. This is just one idea.

I recently purchased a submersible pressure transducer from Stevens Water Monitoring Systems, Inc.
They are located in Portland, Oregon USA and can be found at http://www.stevenswater.com/

This sensor can be dropped into the well string and supported by its own cable or it can be installed inside a PVC pipe.

The sensor I purchased is an SDX model with a 0-35 foot (~10M) depth range.
http://www.stevenswater.com/resources/datasheets/sdx_brochure_web.pdf
Accuracy (linearity) is +/- 0.3% of full scale, +/- 0.1% typical.
The output is a three wire analog 4-20 mA signal.
You must provide a 14 to 35 VDC power source and all external signal conditioning / monitoring electronics.

They offer the SDX sensor in 0-10 ft, 0-35 ft and 0-50 ft variations.
You must specify the cable length desired. Cable price is in addition to the sensor.
The cable is VENTED to atmosphere for pressure compensation.
You should also purchase a desiccant cartridge to attach to the vent tube to prevent moisture from condensing inside.

My purchase of the 35 foot SDX sensor with 50 ft of vented cable, the desiccant cartridge and shipping totaled $434.79 USD.
93720-035 sensor $295.00
44049 cable ($1.75 / foot) $87.50
93030-001 desiccant cartridge $30.00

My purpose for this sensor is to monitor the water level of the river at my remote cabin.
I will install the sensor at the bottom of a 1-1/4" or 2" pipe with a well screen at the bottom and a screened side vent higher up.
I am going to drive this pipe string into the sand at the edge of the river bank where my cabin is located.
If the river begins to flood, the rising water will fill the well pipe through the well screen from below as well as the side vent.
This will create a pressure increase at the sensor which will provide a corresponding increase in the current output.

I have also purchased a programmable pressure indicator display unit that will convert the 4-20 mA signal into a calibrated
digital readout of the actual depth, in feet, as well as provide programmable alarms that can activate sirens or lights and activate
a cellular device to send a text alert message to my computer or I-Phone.

You could use a 0-50 ft SDX sensor to control your pump operation, if you can create the electronic interface circuitry.
If the water level in the well drops below 46 - 48 feet (14 - 14.6M) the low current indication would disable your pump.

The maximum water depth the sensor can be installed at (submersed to) is approximately 68 feet or 20.7 M at sea level because the maximum overpressure the sensor is rated for is 45 psi.
You have to add the weight of the water column and the atmosphere above it to calculate the max depth.

RADAR

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks