HELP: Can't get 1" stainless flex connectors to seal to inlet/outlet nipples

Users who are viewing this thread

yidmbxks

Reaction score
I'm installing a new 75 gal W/H and I can't get the 1" stainless flex connectors to seal to the inlet/outlet nipples. I've tried tape several times and also the paste/dope. The flex connectors are new and I'm trying not to over tighten them. The nipples have heat traps with the plastic extending such that it is the mating surface for the flex connectors. Any ideas???

Reach4

Reaction score
Do your heat trap nipples look like these?
020363175931lg.jpg
Any chance you cross-threaded? I like to screw the piece on CCW until I feel a tick at the same point a couple times. Then go CW.

yidmbxks

Reaction score
Do your heat trap nipples look like these?
020363175931lg.jpg
Any chance you cross-threaded? I like to screw the piece on CCW until I feel a tick at the same point a couple times. Then go CW.

Yes, they look pretty much like that, but the plastic is maybe not quite as rounded on top. They sealed into the tank fine using the paste. The leak is at the top where the flex connector hooks up. They aren't cross threaded. I checked for that since I've had them off and on several times now. Also, they have no flow direction arrows on them like the old ones did. They have flappers instead of a ball and they seem to flow both directions.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you sure that your flex line has NPT connectors? An NPT connector would not have a gasket.

yidmbxks

Reaction score
Well, after getting some FASTape (more heavy duty) and wrapping it more times, I finally got them to seal up. I've never had such difficulty getting a fitting to seal up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When using a fitting like that with a gasket, using tape WILL cause it to leak. You could probably use pipe dope if you wanted, but just dry should work just fine. It seals by bottoming out the fitting so that the gasket is tight against the end of pipe, not around the threads.

yidmbxks

Reaction score
When using a fitting like that with a gasket, using tape WILL cause it to leak. You could probably use pipe dope if you wanted, but just dry should work just fine. It seals by bottoming out the fitting so that the gasket is tight against the end of pipe, not around the threads.

I've heard that before and I tried it dry, but I couldn't get it to seal up for some reason. Do you know why tape causes a fitting like that to leak?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I would have "sliced" the plastic off flush with the end of the nipples so the flex was sealing to the pipe, not the plastic.

That is exactly what I do to every one of them...
just take a razor knife and slice them down to the steel and it normally works great
pipe dope is a good idea too

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pipe dope does not make the seal, but it can help lubricate the threads and make it easier to get off later. It can help if the end of the pipe is not perfectly smooth, but should not be needed.

yidmbxks

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea about slicing off the protruding plastic on the nipple. So far it's holding the seal, but I might try that if it give me any more problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks