Help! Best way to fix leaky well pump line coming into basement - leaking now.

Users who are viewing this thread

msc1504

Reaction score
Ok so looking at the 2 attached pictures I am trying to figure out the best way to fix the leak coming from where my well water supply comes in through the base concrete block wall of our rancher.

It seemed sometims during heavy rains theres was a slight amount of water, but I live in Maryland and we are in the middle of floods not seen for a long time and this is the first time I ever saw water this much.

Just been mopping it up every few hours.

I was thinking of having miss utility mark for underground lines (although i dont think there are any) dig from the outside and put some waterproof concrete or something???

We also just had big trenches dug in our yard for geothermal HVAC and i wonder if that made it worse. Also wondering if there is anything i can do in the short term. perhaps put something on the inside? Now that i look at it, it looks like the previous homeowner new there was a leak and applied some newer concrete sealant or whatever.

Thanks for any advice,
Matt

IMGP5338_800600.jpgIMGP5342_800600.jpg

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would dig down to the foundation on the outside and check your perimeter drains with a camera to make sure they are working. Then use tar sealant on the wall.

msc1504

Reaction score
Jerome, how big of an area would you apply tar sealant? if the pipe is perhaps 1.5" PVC, would you go like a foot around or pretty much just where the pipe comes through, also would a modular home from the mid 70s have perimeter drains? It just seems like everything in this house was done halff a$$ by the previous and original owner. Thanks.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well if you don't have any perimeter drains then I would be surprised you havn't had more problems with leaking basement walls. Where do your rain leaders go? Are there floor drains in the basment and if so where do they go? The tar sealant should be on as much of the outside wall as possible. However the water needs to be able go somewhere. When you dig it up check the line for leaks as well, could be a pinhole leak in the pvc where it penitrates the wall.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
You can't seal a leak from inside! I suggest that you dig down to the hole/pipe on the outside and at least a foot all around. seal around the hole with some tar or good sealant (not cement). Then I would locate a well driller or well pump supplier (not big box stores), and purchase a 50# bag of "Hole Plug" or equivelent (probably less than $17.00). They will know! Place the hole plug in the hole (dry) and cover it back up with soil. When it gets wet it will swell and should seal any future leaks around the pipe.
I'm sure the ground is saturated from all the rain and flooding in your area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks