Help adding a boiler drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Inverno4

Reaction score
In the picture, I want to add a drain to the circled pipe, which is capped, using a valve of some sort. Any recommendations? I looked for an end cap with drain but they don’t exist in quantities less than 50. And I don’t think the Nibco ones are potable water rated.

thanks

F9C2E1B1-711B-4D6D-A7AE-68300A6A3198.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
See Dahl 221DH-01-04-CC

221DH-01-04-CC.jpg

You can solder that onto 1/2 inch copper pipe.

Inverno4

Reaction score
Not understanding. That's a line under pressure. How does that become a drain?

The pipe above it is to an outdoor spigot and there is no way to drain that line even with the water off and lowest level faucets open. The water comes into the house at the top of the picture at the T. At the bottom is the water heater. There only way I can figure to drain the outdoor spigot line is to make this stub pipe a drain. The plumber didn’t put a ball valve with a drain on the outdoor branch.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
In my area, Home Depot sells the low lead boiler drains and caps separately. I suspect most of the big box stores would be the same.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Adding a drain to the capped line doesn't drain the hosebib when that line is shut off. And if you add a drain there and open it, then you can't use the water heater.

Inverno4

Reaction score
Since that is the only pipe below the hose bib piping other than the hot water heater, I wanted to add a valve to that stub pipe to drain the hose bib pipe in colder months or if work need done on it be able to drain it. I would shut the water heater valve, shut off house water, open hose bib pipe, then open this stub pipe valve along with others to equalize pressure. Once drained reverse order turning things back on or off. The stub pipe used to be a pressure relief valve before the expansion tank was put in.

CallmeJake

Reaction score
Once you shut off the house and water heater and drain the line, how are you going to keep the water out of the hose bib when you turn it back on?

Do you plan to leave the water drained for all of the cold months?

In any case sharkbite makes hose bibs, you could remove that cap and push the bib on if you want to go through with this. It'd be just as simple to undo if it doesn't work out.

Inverno4

Reaction score
The hose bib water line has a shut off (just above stub pipe). Once drained, I'll close that valve before turning the whole home water back on.

Hillbilly Bob

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem hard.

My though is to cut in a tee between the spigot and the shutoff to add a valve like the one Reach4 suggested on the branch via a short piece of pipe. To drain the faucet, shut off the supply, open the spigot and then open your new valve. Depending on whether the spigot is above or below, water will come out or air will go in. If it's water out, attach a piece of hose to send it to a drain or a bucket.

That should work, though I don't know if it violates code to let the water drain backward in the line.

HB

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks