Hellenbrand Iron Curtain Media Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

slavamon

Reaction score
I have a Hellenbrand WM2-IC-10 Iron Curtain and I would like to replace the media. Can I use Katalox light media? How much do I need? Apparently this is a mixed bed unit per manual and requires 1.5 CF of media, but I assume that includes gravel (?). Also, if I use Katalox, could I get by without using aeration pump?

_John_

Reaction score
It often works just fine without aeration (most of our installations don't have any aeration). If you have a 10x54" tank, then yes, you would use 1.5 cu. Ft of media (and you'd probably have to by 2 bags at 1 cu. ft. each). Can't definitively answer if you'd be fine without aeration, but most likely you'd still be happy.

You can reuse the gravel in your system, but often it is hard to get all the media out of the tank without all the stuff mixing together.

Katalox's manufacturer recommends 5.6 gpm for the backwash flow rate on that system. I usually use a 7.5 DLFC on those we install (a lot due to Dittohead's recommendations and due to experience with Mangox/filox).

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I concur, the media should be fine. Many of our customers use chlrine regeneration (similar to pot perm but with Chlorine), aeration, or nothing. Too many variables to say what you will need but you can usually add aeration etc later.

slavamon

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the quick responses. To clarify, I currently have the Iron Curtain which is a two tank system with air injection pump. Hasn't been in service for awhile (6 mos.). My question really was whether I could use this as a single tank unit bypassing the aeration tank and using the Katalox media? Was getting some plumes of rust bleedthrough. Have been running on softener alone and water fine. But, don't want to burden softener. Iron Curtain was in house when I bought it 4 years ago. I understand these units require maintenance. Just looking at options. Might just need a good cleaning, not sure. Suggestions? Heard the pipe between tanks can get pretty fouled.

_John_

Reaction score
I'd replace the media with Katalox, and use just the one tank if that was mine. I know the negatives and often overkill of medias like filox/mangox, but from a customer's standpoint they work great for the problems they service, and can usually be set up to be effective in ways that require virtually no maintenance to the user.

Katalox just takes that utility and requires a LOT less backwash. Total win/win on a media in my book.

Reach4

Reaction score
I
Katalox just takes that utility and requires a LOT less backwash. Total win/win on a media in my book.
How much backwash are you thinking would be ideal for Katalox Light?

_John_

Reaction score
http://www.watchwater.de/katalox/DOWNLOAD/KL_Brochure_NEW_ver_1.1.pdf

And I said earlier in the thread that the manufacturer recommends 5.6 gpm on that 1.5 cu. ft. unit, but I usually set up units with a 7.5 gpm DLFC. It's probably fine either way, but experience with mangox/filox fouling if they are not backwashed properly has me erring on the side of caution.

I've not really gotten a definitive answer on the "ideal" backwash time/schedule with the media, but I usually set a 10 minute backwash/with a short rinse for every 3 days. On some installations that probably could be less, but I'm not really in position to be experimenting on my customers, LOL.

The backwash schedule and amount is similar but just a bit more water needed than BIRM.

For comparisons sake, you'd probably see a similar sized filox/mangox filter backwashed with 10-12 gpm for 10-15 mins every day.

Reach4

Reaction score
Interesting document there. I see on column 2 of page 4, Regeneration/Dosing (optional*). One of the choices is "KMnO4/Cl". Do you interpret that as using either pot perm or chlorine bleach? It appears that there is the option of only doing the dosing during backwash. I wonder how it would work to do some bleach solution dosing during the equivalent of a brining phase.

Also, the graph at the bottom of page 4 seems to suggest that a range of backwash rates might be reasonable.

_John_

Reaction score
Yes, I would say it is saying that for the suggested dosing concentrations pot perm or bleach would need equivalent concentrations and you could use either.

The dosing during brining is done for when you need an extra boost cleaning the media. I'd almost prefer to just dose the whole water with chlorine/peroxide to adding some help during backwash for our applications of the media (iron/sulfur mainly).

I'm sure there's applications beyond iron/Mn/sulfur that I don't use the media for where dosing during backwash may be vital.,

ditttohead

Reaction score
Our current backwashing design that we have found to work best is every other or third day, higher than mfg. spec, but for a short amount of time. Typically 3-7 minutes every other day, or 5-8 minutes every third depending on usage, iron. manganese, H2s levels etc. We also have been doing a chlorine regen system for some time now with great success.

sparky349

Reaction score
http://www.watchwater.de/katalox/DOWNLOAD/KL_Brochure_NEW_ver_1.1.pdf

And I said earlier in the thread that the manufacturer recommends 5.6 gpm on that 1.5 cu. ft. unit, but I usually set up units with a 7.5 gpm DLFC. It's probably fine either way, but experience with mangox/filox fouling if they are not backwashed properly has me erring on the side of caution.

I've not really gotten a definitive answer on the "ideal" backwash time/schedule with the media, but I usually set a 10 minute backwash/with a short rinse for every 3 days. On some installations that probably could be less, but I'm not really in position to be experimenting on my customers, LOL.

The backwash schedule and amount is similar but just a bit more water needed than BIRM.

For comparisons sake, you'd probably see a similar sized filox/mangox filter backwashed with 10-12 gpm for 10-15 mins every day.
I've had the IC-10 in my well supply system since 1999. I was renting for 6 months and then bought the system. I recently had serious flow issues inside my house. I called the installer and found that the aeration tank needs to cleaned at least every 4 - 5 years. When I took the tank out I found massive amounts of rust plugging the inlet and aeration tube. It took a few hours to pick all the rust deposits out of the slots and off the pipes. I have my water pressure back and it's still removing the rust and H2S but the water tastes a little funky. I see from the posts that I can use the Katalox Lite. 1.5 cubic feet bag. Since it seems the media gets mixed in with the gravel when emptied, would anyone like to give me as estimate on how much gravel should go in the tank first? Also, the clean or backwash cycles seem to fixed so how could that be reduced? Can the cams be moved to reduce the backwash time? Thanks in advance.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Send a picture of the valve timer. I am guessing it is a 3200 timer so simply changing the timing is done with the pins.

A 10" diameter tank would use approximately 15 pounds of NSF listed gravel. #6 is preferred

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks