height of shower stall...

Users who are viewing this thread

rdavison39

Reaction score
Hi - i am renovating bathroom where the shower stall is only 7' high which seems to be a standard. Above the shower stall is the attic. Its no problem to raise the hieght to 8' but i'm curious as to why all the showers seem to have this bulkhead. Is it just asthetics or is there a good reason why most showers don't provide the extra headroom?

Thx
Ron

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Must be a Canadian thing....I have never seen a short shower stall. Could it be insulation? or a heating duct?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In the old days, they also lowered the ceiling above bathtubs to the 7' level. It was an aesthetic thing, unless there is piping or ductwork in that area.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
It's a Canadian Thing.

Best I can figure out is it is to help with warmth in a cold cold home.

I have removed about 20 of these bulkheads over the past 8 years and only once found a duct line. Most times we find "Mouse Poop"... Once I found an old "Newspaper" it was great to see the old pricing for cars and homes...

Because moisture can form on the ceiling of a shower it might also be so that you can wipe the ceiling down without a ladder...

JW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; It's a Canadian Thing.

I have NEVER been to Canada, but have seen thousands of homes with a drop ceiling over the tub. They were doing it in the USA in the 50's and probably a long time before that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
7' ceilings would still be too high for "short people". I have seen some bathrooms where the installed doors on the front of the drop and used it for a linen closet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks