Heather Lake Hike near the Mountain Loop Highway

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Heather Lake Hike is located off the Mountain Loop Highway, not too from from Granite Falls. The trail head is the same road as for Mt Pilchuck lookout. It's 2 miles to the lake and a gain of about 1,000. If you walk around the lake, that adds a mile. It's a beautiful spot to enjoy nature. I do recommend bring hiking poles, as the trail is covered with exposed roots leading up to the lake. Watch where you place your feet.

heather_5038.jpg

Our first view of the lake.

heather_5043.jpg

Looking back from the far side of the lake.

heather_142.jpg

There are high peaks around the lake. You can see evidence of a recent avalanche, with rocks and broken and bent trees. Some of the huge rocks surround the lake, and some have tumbled to the other side.

heather_138.jpg

Photo taken in 2012. This snow was not there a year later.

heather_133.jpg

Wonderful in the sunlight.

heather_136.jpg

Heather Lake

http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_report.asp?id=37307

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This area was logged off some time ago. Look at the size of that stump. And several trees growing over the top of the stump, roots reaching over the stump toward the ground.

heather_116.jpg

heather_132.jpg

A little shade here. Last year I went swimming. This year I bailed on that idea.

heather_125.jpg

Swimming in 2012

heather_5053.jpg

A nice boardwalk on the far side.

heather_5048.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks