heat tape

Users who are viewing this thread

caugustin

Reaction score
Hey - I have been having issues with frozen pipes this year, as in sure other people are. It is the drain from the roof. Is there any heat tape that I can put inside a cast iron pipe. The pipe is under ground so I can not get the heat tape wrapped around the pipe. I need to be able to get some sort of heat down that pipe to stop it from backing up. The last time it froze it was 10’ past the exterior wall, and 10’ from the main, so the city wants nothing to do with it and says its our problem. Any one know of anything that could help me out?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know of any heat tape you can put inside of a pipe, and you'd have a big problem sealing around the entry point I think. May be wrong. Also, I'd think it would tend to catch things, making the situation worse, and if you ever needed to try to clean the line, it could get messy quick.

But, how deep is the line? Also, if the slope of the line is not proper (any bellies or reverse angles, or even just too flat), you could have standing water there and that may be the source of your problems. Normally, there's enough warm water that it would not freeze unless it pools - it would all just flow out into the main.

How deep is the drain line underground? What is your frost level there? Does the line run underneath the driveway? With the unseasonal cold, I wonder if they'll need to revise the depth - won't help all of the existing stuff, though! While it may not be pretty, maybe get a few bales of hay each winter and add some insulation along the path. May be a wild idea...but see what others have to say - maybe they'll have better ideas.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
what do you mean by "the drain from the roof"? Drain lines do NOT "freeze up", unless they are full of water to start with, or you have a very small drip that can create an ice dam over time and then the pipe fills with water.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't know anyplace that would approve of roof or gutter drainage going to the sewer.

If you can access the pipe from both ends, you can fish roof heating cable through the pipe, but it has to be done before the lines are frozen. Once they are frozen you would need to find a plumber with a steamer to unthaw the pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Many cities have a combined sewer system which you can pipe your gutter to, although there may be restrictors required to spread out the ingress. Many have a storm sewer which you can pipe your gutter to.

Portland has a voluntary program to encourage residents to disconnect. http://bluelivingideas.com/2009/06/02/diy-disconnect-downspout-protect-rivers/

Also see http://city.milwaukee.gov/CityLegacySite/DownspoutDisconnect2615.htm and http://v3.mmsd.com/DownspoutDisconnect.aspx regarding Milwaukee.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks