Heat Tape

Users who are viewing this thread

asayers

Reaction score
I have a shower set up that is going to be mounted on an outside wall. I have no options to put it anywhere else. Can I heat tape the lines within the walls?

asayers

Reaction score
I don't have any room to build a false wall, nor are there any options move the plumbing. I could re-direct part of a forced air heat duct into the wall. I would have to limit the amount of insulation in the wall in order for it to do any good though and that scares me.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Heat tape in an enclosed wall would be a NO NO. Why can't it be mounted on another wall?

asayers

Reaction score
It is a very very small bathroom with no other wall as a possibility.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not a pro...but if I was hit with this problem, I'd make sure that the pipes were as close to the inside wall as possible, and then I'd consider using a foam in place insulation - it doesn't leave voids and has a much better R factor than fiberglass. This could be problematic if you needed to repair the valve and it might mask a leak. This may mean that your choices of a shower valve may be limited, since many of them are fairly deep. I know that Grohe makes a surface mount tub/shower valve assembly, don't know if they or others make a surface mounted shower only assembly. If you go this route, then all of the guts are outside of the wall, only the pipe is inside (and you should be able to get it closer to the inside wall. You may not like the looks of this. I did it on my shower because there is a pocket door behind it, and I didn't want any interference possibilities, plus, the granite I put up I wanted to stay for a long time nonwithstanding the valve.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What is above the bathroom, 2nd floor or attic, and when you are standing in the shower can you touch the shower ceiling?

asayers

Reaction score
yes. It is on the second story, a dormer with the attic space above.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You do not say where you are located, but I would agree with Jim. If you keep the insulation between the outside wall and the pipes, and you keep the house heated, you should have no problems. NO heat tape!

Paul

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks