Heat recovery unit and recirculation piping

Users who are viewing this thread

steelsparky

Reaction score
While I may not be a plumber, I have been called a freon plumber. I do refrigeration and A/C and just got a deal on a heat recovery unit which uses the discharge line to heat water.

While I can easily figure out the A/C side of it, I am curious about the water side piping involving the tank. I also plan to add an active recirculation loop from the furthest fixture. And add pump @ tank.

Question is can someone tell me the correct way to pipe this configuration? Can't seem to find any diagrams on the internet and the HRU I got did not come with any directions. Have a 40gal tank with in, out, and drain port.

Also can anyone recommend a good grundfos recirc pump? House is on a well.

Thanks
Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Exactly which unit did you buy? Sounds like this is using the a/c line to preheat some water. Is there nothing on the manufactuer's website that contains this info?

steelsparky

Reaction score
I'll have to get an exact model serial but it's a Trevor Martin. And yes it preheats the water. The hru says to tee off cold water supply at the tank and then pipe return into the drain. So I guess my next question is where do I pipe the return for the recirculation loop? Also in the drain?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks