heat pump??

Users who are viewing this thread

possum

Reaction score
how can I tell if my furnace has a heat pump on it it says it is a forced air high efficient natural gas furnace but says nothing about a heat pump on it. It was installed in 2000

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
possum said:
how can I tell if my furnace has a heat pump on it it says it is a forced air high efficient natural gas furnace but says nothing about a heat pump on it. It was installed in 2000

If it has a heat pump, it will have a system that looks a lot like an air conditioner, with a unit outside that looks like a condensing unit but is really an evaporator, that runs when the weather is cold. The condensing unit might be a combination condensing/evaporating unit. The telling point is that it will be running while you should be heating.

It is very unlikely that you have a heat pump without knowing it.

R

Rancher

Where do you live and what do you use for cooling? That would determine if you might have a heat pump or not.

Rancher

TedL

Reaction score
Read the plate on the outside unit, and look up the model at the manufacturers's site. In no luck, call a local dealer of the brand with the model #.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is not common to use a heat pump in conjuction with a gas furnace, although it can be done. Look at the thermostat. A heat pump will usually have an orange wire for the reversing valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks