Heat pump water heater and duct

Users who are viewing this thread

Rand

Reaction score
I just put a Rheem heat pump water heater in my garage. Should I do any duct work like running the cool air to the attic or having it draw hot air from the attic? I am in Tampa and my attic runs about 110 degrees. I can be flexible too and move duct to compensate for the summer and winter. Thanks for an advice or suggestions!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If it's a model set up for ducting you'll probably get some benefit out of drawing intake air from the attic, as long as the runs are reasonably short and straight, and meets the manufacturer's installation specs. Hard piping is far better than flex especially for longer runs. If the duct reduces the air flow too much it's bad for efficiency.

Leave the cool air in the garage, since it is also dehumidifying the garage, making it more comfortable and lowering the mold potential.

In winter having it draw it's intake air from the garage will be beneficial.

Last edited:

Rand

Reaction score
If it's a model set up for ducting you'll probably get some benefit out of drawing intake air from the attic, as long as the runs are reasonably short and straight, and meets the manufacturer's installation specs. Hard piping is far better than flex especially for longer runs. If the duct reduces the air flow too much it's bad for efficiency.

Leave the cool air in the garage, since it is also dehumidifying the garage, making it more comfortable and lowering the mold potential.

In winter having it draw it's intake air from the garage will be beneficial.
Thanks dana, the run would be about 6 foot and the temp in the attic usually runs 112 degrees
Do you think thats too hat for the heat pump?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks