Heat Pump inside unite making clicking noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

CentralTXPreacher

Reaction score
The last thing I am is an A/C expert, so I told my wife I was going to where I knew the experts were. My inside unit of my A/C started making a clicking noise from the are that the power wires go into it. You can hear the clicking from across the room, ie. click, click, click, etc. It will click for maybe 30 seconds and then the unit comes on and from what I can tell the clicking stops. It doesn't do this all the time. Could it be bad contacts? I guess there are some in there. This is a Heat Pump unit.

Thanks for your help.

CentralTxPreacher

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on this, just have worked through my share of problems with HVAC.

I've had something similar happen when a relay was bad and needed replacement in at least two homes. Also had some issues with wasps getting into a box in another home...beat on it a bit and it started working again.

I've also had some similar trouble when the compressor was nearing the end of its life. It already had the largest capacitor for start up, and then it burned off a terminal block which had to be replaced. It would try to engage the compressor, fail, then try again a short while later.

Probably best to call someone out and do some quick maintenence, check the charge, etc.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your thermostat has internal batteries, make sure that they don't need to be changed.

Reaction score
If your thermostat has internal batteries, make sure that they don't need to be changed.

Yep, thought about posting the same, but haven't had a click associated with that, just a unit that either wouldn't shut off or wouldn't turn on no matter the indicated temp or set point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks