Heat Gun Fail w/ Pex A?

Users who are viewing this thread

Acordeon

Reaction score
I'm using Pex A for a project (this: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pex-a-conection-to-hose-sillcock.104817/) and I ended up putting a kink in it. I have heard that you can unkink pex A by heating it. Watched this video to confirm how to do it:

Tried it w/ a hair dryer, got nowhere, went to Lowe's and got a heat gun. Tried with the heat gun. First like 5 mins on low -- it got shiny and gave off some fumes, but never got transparent. Switched to high, maybe 4 more minutes. Still never turned clear. Instead started to get real bendy and then a brown spot appeared, like it got burned. Pic attached.

Have I ruined it somehow? What was I doing wrong?

IMG_4305.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
depends on what type of "Project" if its for building construction , it probebly a good idea to replace the damaged section. maybe because its an off brand the kinks cant be fixed

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I suspect the brand you used is not working the same as Uponor in this respect.

For curiosity's sake, I was playing around with some blue Zurn B and heated a scrap piece with a heatgun. It also turned transparent and gummy like the Uponor A and then seemed to reform unharmed after it cooled..

Personally, I don't think I'd reuse any kinked piece of any type of PEX even if a heat gun fixes it. If I kink it, I replace it.

John

Eman85

Reaction score
Check the codes on the pipe and the brand to see what they say about it's ability to reform.

isaashmeyers

Reaction score
I'm using Pex A for a project (this: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pex-a-conection-to-hose-sillcock.104817/) and I ended up putting a kink in it. I have heard that you can unkink pex A by heating it. Watched this video to confirm how to do it:

Tried it w/ a hair dryer, got nowhere, went to Lowe's and got a heat gun. Tried with the heat gun. First like 5 mins on low -- it got shiny and gave off some fumes, but never got transparent. Switched to high, maybe 4 more minutes. Still never turned clear. Instead started to get real bendy and then a brown spot appeared, like it got burned. Pic attached.

Have I ruined it somehow? What was I doing wrong?
I have a problem with my Pex A heat gun. It has stopped working and needs to be repaired immediately. I checked all connections and wires, but found no visible faults. In general, I understand gun control, I use https://edubirdie.com/examples/gun-control/ for this. But here it is not clear what. Probably the problem lies in the internal components. I recommend contacting professional service technicians who specialize in the repair and maintenance of Pex A heat guns. They will be able to diagnose and solve the problem. It is important not to attempt to repair the equipment yourself to avoid additional damage or dangerous situations.
View attachment 92178
This is of course yes, you need to think about what you are doing.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks