Hearing weird crackling sounds from bottom of Kohler Highline bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

MFfan310

Reaction score
Well, I'm back on here, with a question:

I have a 1 1/2 year old Kohler Highline toilet (Kohler model # K-3427, purchased as part of a K-11450 "Complete Solution" package with seat and wax ring at Lowe's) that was bought to replace a 3.5 gpf Mansfield "contractor's special". It's now starting to exhibit some weird crackling sounds around the base of the bowl whenever one sits or bends over. Is this a sign that the china is cracking? If it is, should I run out to buy another toilet? Anyway, I haven't abused the toilet at all, though one member of our family climbed on top of the bowl yesterday while installing a cabinet over the toilet. Could that be the culprit?

Also, while I know that Terry here often recommends Toto, I wonder if the new American Standard Champion 4 (the new one with the 4" flapper and "Accelerator", NOT the old Champion wth the leaky flush tower) works fine? Any help that could possibly stop a toilet emergency would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the toilet rock on the floor at all? If it does, it may have leaked and you could have structural problems as a result.

MFfan310

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
Does the toilet rock on the floor at all? If it does, it may have leaked and you could have structural problems as a result.

Nope... it doesn't rock on the floor. Thanks for the tip, though.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We are always looking for testers.
When I first saw the Champion, I laughed. I told the distributor straight up that I didn't think it was going to last very long. Turned out I was right.

You can always buy the newer one and let us know.
They don't list a Champion 4 on their web site though.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
To find the cause of the noise you need to pull the toilet and inspect the bottom of the bowl and floor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If plywood has delaminated because of rot or moisture damage, you'll get some weird sounds when you apply weight to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks