Hearing water running down toilet drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The bowl gets refilled at least partly from the hose going into the overflow tube. The path on most toilets into the bowl is through the rim wash ports, so it is quite normal while the tank is refilling for the bowl to refill at the same time. Has nothing to do with the flapper valve.

Many older toilets way overfilled the bowl, so even on an older toilet, throttling the water to the overflow could save some water. Excess water into the bowl just ends up down the drain...unless there's a clog, there's no danger of the bowl overflowing. When adjusting that, add some water to the bowl directly, let it sit to stabilize, note the level, then flush. Adjust the water into the overflow until when the tank is filled, the bowl is just full, too. Some older toilets do not actually need water going to the overflow to fill the bowl, but might clean the bowl a bit better with it...newer toilets try to do all of that with less.

For an older toilet, the most reliable way to reduce water usage is the replace it with a modern one!

DinoM

Reaction score
The bathroom needs a complete remodel, so a new toilet is in the future, just can't afford it right now.

I may try one of the fill valves that supposedly control how much water enters bowl. I tried one in the past and it made no difference in how much water entered the bowl. The only thing it did was slow down how long it took to fill the tank.

The water level in the bowl hasn't changed. The level in the tank is lower than where the water level stamp is, due to a new flush valve I had installed a few years ago that isn't as tall as what I previously had and the water level would be over the overflow tube if it was.

Apparently the water level in the trap is higher than it has been to be able to hear so much run down the drain whenever anything is added to the bowl. But I still can't figure out why there is a such a delay in hearing it. Just another mystery of life I suppose.

DCNYC

Reaction score
Dino: I'm now having a very similar issue, which is how I came across your post. The flushing process happens normally, but after a period of silence (around 10-20 seconds), I begin to hear a series a drips. Usually a few seconds worth, then silence, then a few seconds worth, etc., for about 10-20 seconds as well. I'm not sure how long it's been going on. I noticed it while cleaning the other day. I guess I normally leave the bathroom right after I flush and I wouldn't have noticed it because of the delay before it starts. It's really bothering me too.

Does/did yours sound more like drops/dripping or running water? Did you ever figure it out? I'm hoping it's just simply the last few straggling drips of water falling down into the trap

Reach4

Reaction score
Does/did yours sound more like drops/dripping or running water? Did you ever figure it out? I'm hoping it's just simply the last few straggling drips of water falling down into the trap
Normal. Your description is correct, except we would say the drips are dripping from the weir, which is part of the trap.

This sound is more hearable if your path feeding the closet flange is plastic.

Jlmay

Reaction score
I am in a newly built home and have the same issue. Three toilets, two are fine and one has a dripping sound under the toilet when any liquid is added.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am in a newly built home and have the same issue. Three toilets, two are fine and one has a dripping sound under the toilet when any liquid is added.
Different toilet models? Those with a plastic trapway tend to pass the sound more than those that are all china.

Are two toilets on a slab and one on wood?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks