Head scratcher at house's water connection

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Zach Coleman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Zach Coleman

Zach Coleman New Member

So... A homeowner complained about a leak in her yard. I found some 3/4 black poly pipe clamped to a 3/4 piece of copper stubbed out of the slab the black poly had a pinhole leak...

I figured that being an old house it must've still had the original water service.

We agreed to abandon the original line and dig a trench all the way back to the meter and replace the black poly line...

As I dug near the meter I noticed they had soft copper in the yard... I thought "this is strange" why go partial copper and then partial black poly to the house connection... Since I was abandoning the old water service line I just removed the copper pipe I had dug up and then I hooked up uponor from the meter to what I thought was the house connection- the copper that the black poly was clamped to...

When I turned the meter on I got full pressure at the copper line that I abandoned. What can this be???

There is a hose Bibb at the front of the house it tees off copper coming from the ground. when i shut water off I tried blowing through the abandoned line.... I could feel air coming out of hose Bibb... It seems that the soft copper was trenched all the way from the meter to the front hose Bibb. But the crazy thing is that after I piped in the new water service ive got water at every fixture including that same hose Bibb. Can somebody help me see what I'm missing?! If I hooked up to the wrong connection why do I have water at every fixture?? That black poly line couldn't have been dead it was leaking and it stopped when I shut meter off. I'm very confused...
    Here are some pics

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Is there another faucet in the yard somewhere? Maybe a line for future irrigation?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Zach Coleman

Zach Coleman New Member

Not that I can see... Thats a good thought maybe future irrigation

5. Zach Coleman

Zach Coleman New Member

But one thing that I can't figure out... It seems like the soft copper goes from the meter straight to the hose Bibb. Could there be two separate house connections?

6. Zach Coleman

Zach Coleman New Member

Tell me if I'm wrong... I think that someone abandoned the original black poly line and capped it off somewhere at the end... Maybe they did this because they couldn't find the houses connection

Next they ran soft copper from meter to the front hose Bibb by removing original hose Bibb and adding a tee and then they made that the house connection because they couldn't find the other one. It would have been a needle in a haystack for me if it wasn't leaking.

Then with the water turned on the original black poly line would be charged with water and eventually leak like I found it but it would no no longer be the water service. Is this a plausible theory?

7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    That sounds plausible to me. Many times I have not bothered to dig up an old line, but ran a new one where I could . For my home I went in an entirely different location. No way was I going to break out my concrete drive to replace it there.