Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
My new professional name....

Phd.. on the end ofmy name dont do anything for me..

I am only a few credits short a phyc degree that I never
finished up on a long time ago......and I got a lot of
credits still hanging out there for Philosophy and Religion too.

but never cared for all the crazy --squirrley --people you had to deal with...

and the money is better in plumbing....

From now on I think I would like to be called.....

Worshipful Master Mark..... or ....... W.M.M.

what do you think HJ ?

it has a catchey ring to it......

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am going to guess that there will be a few lower elements replaced with the 5500W that will burn up the wireing slowly and eventualy cause the wire to not conduct any more. Almost 2 A greater than the rating on a #12 can't be good in the log run with the workout the lower elements get.

What is your rationale for that "guess"?

Reasons that it is not valid:
1. Water heaters with standard 4500 Watt elements are required by code to be on 30 Amp circuits with 30 Amp breakers, so an upgrade on a code-compliant circuit will not make the circuit non-compliant.
2. Circuits with #12 wire are required to be protected with 20 Amp breakers.
3. #12 wire is rated at 25 Amps with 60 degree C insulation (which is the lowest value insulation temperature rating), even though the circuit is required to be protected to 20 Amps. Therefore, the additional current will not raise the temperature of the wire or insulation above its temperature rating.

Even if the unit is incorrectly installed on an illegal #12 circuit and not protected by the correct circuit breaker, the wire is still being operated within the the capability of the wire. There is no valid technical basis to support that "guess".

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry I ment to say wiring inside the heater, some of which, looks like 14 although I have never checked.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Sorry I ment to say wiring inside the heater, some of which, looks like 14 although I have never checked.

Very often that is so true; the wire coming to the heater is of a heavier gauge than the wire feeding the pigtails to connect, the wiring leading down to both the upper and lower thermostat, even though the demand can handle the higher wattage dictated by mfg. specifications.

You can tell the difference easily when you wire nut them together.

I'm speaking from the aspect of State and A.O. Smith water heaters specifically, GE/Rheem follows the same lines.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Well, at this point they look like just a novelty item for now.
I'll wager they become an industry standard over time, but it appears to be too much rewiring & time/money for a faster water heater.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
grumpy....

probably quite a few poeple will do this
and not read the instructions......

so if enough people were to burn their houses down,
or melt their wireing,
then it will just be another class action
lawsuit for HD......

or they will just pull them from the shelves asap
before it ever gets that far along.....

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I am probably the most philosopher kind of person you would ever want to meet W.M.M. Infact, you might end of borrowing some of that Vodka of Rugged's when done reflecting things of the world with me. :p It never matters if anyone ever agrees with me, for it only matters to me.

Since today is the most dreaded holiday of the year for me, I did a traditional thing that my husband and I used to do every year since the boys became older. In the middle of the day we would take a drive and see what stores were open, see if we could buy a " delicious" cup of coffee, ( i make only lousy coffee) and check out how many cars were on the road. We loved it when it was just us on the major road near our home, and loved it especially when it was snowing. We would be the only ones on it and we would do donuts and laugh like crazy because usually it has thousands of cars on it.

Today I did the drive and did it alone. I found Rite Aid the only store open and stopped in. They are a new store and this was my first time in it. Since everyone forgot to buy the bobcat a toy, I headed to that area where I found one cat toy left. It is neat complete with a singing bird, a big feather and a catnip bag attached to it. It wasn't hard to imagine my 10 bucks being chewed away in a matter of minutes and only having to clean up the feather bits, the dead singing bird and catnip but, he is worth the money and extra work. He is old. He is going to be 19 in January. I have given thought as to why people in my family can't live to be so old, but I am glad I still have him. He is a real tiger. He guards me even from my own relection in the mirror.

While I was driving the empty roads I started thinking about the days when I had a dad, and he would tell me about WW2 and being in Anzio. He fought over there in the month of December and was laying in a foxhole thinking about Christmas. He was 17. Younger than both my boys now. While laying in the foxhole cold and wet, all he wanted for Christmas was for the fighting to stop.

He got his wish that night. The firing ceased.

While I was a little girl growing up and even when I became a big girl, I would ask my dad what he wanted for Christmas, what he wanted Santa to bring him. He always said the same thing.

"Peace on Earth."

This is also, my Christmas wish.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am probably the most philosopher kind of person you would ever want to meet W.M.M. Infact, you might end of borrowing some of that Vodka of Rugged's when done reflecting things of the world with me. :p It never matters if anyone ever agrees with me, for it only matters to me.

Since today is the most dreaded holiday of the year for me, I did a traditional thing that my husband and I used to do every year since the boys became older. In the middle of the day we would take a drive and see what stores were open, see if we could buy a " delicious" cup of coffee, ( i make only lousy coffee) and check out how many cars were on the road. We loved it when it was just us on the major road near our home, and loved it especially when it was snowing. We would be the only ones on it and we would do donuts and laugh like crazy because usually it has thousands of cars on it.

Today I did the drive and did it alone. I found Rite Aid the only store open and stopped in. They are a new store and this was my first time in it. Since everyone forgot to buy the bobcat a toy, I headed to that area where I found one cat toy left. It is neat complete with a singing bird, a big feather and a catnip bag attached to it. It wasn't hard to imagine my 10 bucks being chewed away in a matter of minutes and only having to clean up the feather bits, the dead singing bird and catnip but, he is worth the money and extra work. He is old. He is going to be 19 in January. I have given thought as to why people in my family can't live to be so old, but I am glad I still have him. He is a real tiger. He guards me even from my own relection in the mirror.

While I was driving the empty roads I started thinking about the days when I had a dad, and he would tell me about WW2 and being in Anzio. He fought over there in the month of December and was laying in a foxhole thinking about Christmas. He was 17. Younger than both my boys now. While laying in the foxhole cold and wet, all he wanted for Christmas was for the fighting to stop.

He got his wish that night. The firing ceased.

While I was a little girl growing up and even when I became a big girl, I would ask my dad what he wanted for Christmas, what he wanted Santa to bring him. He always said the same thing.

"Peace on Earth."

This is also, my Christmas wish.

I think you said it all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks