HD W/H Elements

Users who are viewing this thread

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I have a "P.H.D." in Grumpology.
I did my thesis on Walter Mathua, Jack Lemon and their impact on contemporary society.
I attended the university of HK.
I am reknown by Grumpologists internationally.
I also majered in gramer and speling.
I do pluming as a hoby.
I'm serius.
Reelly.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Sorry grumpy, it is quite clear that you still don't get it. I will try one more time.

MAC claimed to have academic expertise in his specialty as a tradesman. He has not earned that academic rank. It is disrespectfull to those who have earned a degree in that particular area of engineering and science.

Is that clear enough?

Not at all.
This leaves the big question.
Where should he attend school to attain his Ph.D. in waterheaterology?
Should he pursue this venture, and effectively attain this highly regarded degree, he then earns your respect.
I have a suggestion, have someone tickle you.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
My respect goes out to the oldtimers in my trade.
I was fortunate enough to work with a bunch of them when I first started, I was humble enough to jump when told and smart enough to learn from them.
I'm in my prime and the aches are already starting to kick in, I can't imagine what I'd feel like once I got 35 years in.
I hope Jerry continues to use the euphemism, if he feels good saying it and it expresses his pride, then I'm for it.
I'm hard pressed to see any damage done, or potential interpretations that he got his doctorate from Harvard in waterheaterology.
Rugged, pass the vodka.

Cookie

Reaction score
Cass is Water Heater King, and that beats a P.H.D. because kings makes the rules. :p

26_8_12.gif

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
No P.H.D. Needed/New job market GREAT for Retired Plumbers or Kings

Here is a new job market and best of all, NO P.H.D. Needed!

Yule school to teach Santa's elves

b

Anyone who aspires to a job as a Santa's helper can acquire them at a new Elf Academy in Rovaniemi, 2,600 km (1,600 miles) from the North Pole, which Finland claims as home to the "real" Santa Claus.
Christmas 2007 is in full swing as tourists seek Santa in the Arctic Circle but after the school opens next April, the 2,000 or so "elves" will be able to raise their game.
The competencies an elf needs are vast, says Esa Sakkinen, project coordinator and teacher at the Lapland Vocational College which will be running the academy.
They do more than pack the gifts that families pick up at the Christmas market outside "Santa's house" or help answer the 750,000 letters that arrive at his local post office each year.
"An elf needs to know how to make a fire in the snow ... also the local nature and animals, because you never know what the clients or kids are going to ask," he said.
The Santa business is vital to the region where unemployment is nearly double the Finnish average, winter temperatures average minus 15 to minus 10 degrees Celsius (5-14 Fahrenheit), and the snow can be more than a meter deep.
The first planeload of tourists visiting Santa landed in Lapland about 20 years ago and today about 500,000 tourists -- mainly from France, Britain and Russia -- visit Rovaniemi and Santa's nearby village each year.
The Christmas season contributed about one-third of the region's 2006 tourist income of 540 million euros ($774.1 million). Many people arrive on a day-trip to visit Santa, learn to drive huskies, taste local delicacies and -- with luck -- glimpse the Northern Lights above pine trees fat with snow.
Despite rival Santa Claus theme parks and Christmas markets in the United States, Canada, Japan, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Germany, the region says visitors to Finnish Lapland are increasing year by year.

PROFESSION: ELF
"The impact of tourism on our area is huge," said Timo Rautajoki, head of Lapland's Chamber of Commerce. "It's also a way for us to lure people back who have left the region because of better job opportunities in the south of the country."
The region plans to invest more than 1 billion euros to build new hotels, resorts and ski lifts, he said.
The new academy is the answer to a business need and an attempt to provide skills to help the long-term unemployed find out-of-season work. About 500 elves work in Rovaniemi, a town of 60,000 where in 2006 the unemployment rate was 14 percent, compared with a national average of 7.7 percent.
"The companies working in the business asked us whether we could develop the profession of elves and we said 'why not?"' said Sakkinen.
With about 1,000 young people leaving school or university each year and local jobs scarce, the competition to be a part of the Christmas magic is fierce. Hundreds vie for the often seasonal jobs with the region's 10 main safari companies.
Given the hostile climate, the region's tourist attractions focus on activities: cruises on an icebreaker, reindeer safaris, or simply hunting and canoeing. Each needs an elf or guide.

Elina Hakala, an elf in her mid-20s whose working name is Fir Cone, has been with Arctic Safaris full-time for three years, and said it can be a challenge to maintain children's enthusiasm throughout an action-packed day at sub-zero temperatures.
"You have to create an atmosphere and still make them feel 'OK, this is what we expected,' and then keep the spirit throughout the day," she said.
Exams to earn a professional certificate are part of the program, which will be open to all ages.
TOUGH QUESTIONS
On arrival at the airport, elves dressed in green jackets and red gloves and hat ferry visitors on buses to their destinations through the winter twilight.
After a day driving a snowmobile they may accompany families to a reindeer farm or tell stories of Santa and Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer.
Language skills are essential: last year, visitors came from 48 countries, according to Sakkinen. Most speak English, but numbers are growing from countries farther afield, such as Japan.
All the agencies have agreed on a version of the Santa story, but elves have to be ready to answer tricky questions from children or adults who spot anomalies in the legend.
One frequent puzzle is why -- since the Santa story describes how little elves jump out of Mrs. Santa's porridge pot -- the elves themselves are, like most Finns, really quite tall.
"We tell the kids it's because, unlike in Britain, we get a lot of snow and have to be able to see above it," said Hakala. "Sometimes you get kids who insist they don't believe in Santa, and that's even harder. (Upon graduation one earns a P.H.D. in Elfology...)

Rugged, you better get out of that chimney soon, you got lotsa work to do tonite!

Last edited:

Construct30

Reaction score
Does this mean we have to wash our hands and wear exam gloves and masks when we "operate" on a hot water tank or toilet?

If some one is confused by a Ph.D. , did I type that correctly, in waterheaterology or grumpology, then I guess I feel bad for them. After twenty years or more doing one thing I think you have earned an honorary degree.

I always knew Terry was smart, see it runs in the family.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I'll say this.
CHH, I've come to know you as a reasonable, decent guy.
It's Christmas and I'm wondering if your ok.

At this rate, I'm not about to call the authorities on Jerry for impersonating a smart person.
I do that more than anyone, and I don't put any PHD next to my name...I just throw out big, polysyllabic words I don't understand. Arrest me.

Merry Christams, happy holidays...be good to yourself.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
W/h Elements

"WOW" what a discussion ! !
yes that is a tounge in cheek ph.d yes i fill i have earned the honorable title

if you can get a collage engneer that thinks because he designs systems
and any of the other collage educate people think because they can screw two peices of pipe togeather that makes them a PLUMBER,

I have gone beyond what other plumbers do that install water heaters and do light
service work on them, I have gone to over 2 dozen differant factory training
schools to properly install, and provide warrenty service per mfg's on
over 50 differant mfg's all models and styles, from small instant 115v point of use water heaters to 200-400 gallon 480 volt 3 phase mega KW style steam
boilers, from 20 gal. L.P. or NAT. GAS upto 400 gal. 2,000,000 B.T.U.'S
hot water heaters and power burner hi-efficent. boilers
so i am a little beyond what most plumbers know how to do
so yes in my humble opinon that earns a honorable degree.

AND YES DR. LOVE IS A VERY KNOWEDGEABLE MASTER PLUMBER,
I DON'T KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER TERRY BUT I MEET YOU AT YOUR HOUSE SOME YEARS AGO.

JERRYMAC:D

Construct30

Reaction score
There were 5 boys on my dads side of the family. One of them had several Ph.D.'s in medicine and the rest were union electricians, my dad quite when he was 28 and went to college and became a preacher, he has a BS degree, in more ways than one. The electricians all retired electricians, the Doctor couldn't wait to quit so he could do finish carpentry work, and my dad lasted about 15 years and went back to construction doing remodeling work. I don't even try to guess who is smarter or more intellegent, but I know who was happier.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Jerry, from here on in I'm just gonna call you "Doc", Terry'll be Doctor Love.
That is, until the academic police incarcerate me.
Why am I getting a Tienneman square feeling here?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Jerry Mac can you e-mail me a copy of your thesis... I'd like to be edumicated about water heaters.:rolleyes:

Construct30

Reaction score
Now, how much research did you do? What did you do to document your research and publish the results? What was your contribution to original knowledge? How was your individual work evaluated?

Let me see if I can answer some of these as most of us could.

We research every day and all have a room full of books.

We document our research by wrinting a bill and getting paid by happy customers and doing plan reviews and writing estimates, plans and contracts.

Original knowledge Ummm look at what we do, we make what the engineers give us work. They don't get more original than grumpy.

Our work is evaluated every day, it doesn't leak, blow up or other wise cause trouble.

I know I failed, I'm sorry guys.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Hod Damn!

I'm starting to think MACPLUMB 777 is almighty powerful to get a thread rocking to this calibur with so few posts.

I say we give him a Ph. D for his works!

I've been a gynocologist many many times on the weekend...but I really don't think a gyno would care if I used his job title for a little weekend instruction.

And I'm certain he/she wouldn't single me out on a plumbing forum, either.

Say what?!! What did you say?!!! What?!!!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My trash collector might have been reading this thread...
He's jacking up his rates!
He claims to have a Ph.D. in Garbology:mad:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks