HB with S's drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Roberto, that hallway looks familiar? repeat clients? Nice embedding/skim work ..

It looks familiar and much better when finished ....:)

IMG_3658.JPG

My clients are super happy with the outcome and this is the most rewarding !

Did I mention she did lots of the paintings in the photo ? She is very talented ..... and now is working on a very nice relaxing one for the kitchen area . I will ask her if I can snap a picture of it when is done . :)

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
It looks familiar and much better when finished ....:)

View attachment 27037

My clients are super happy with the outcome and this is the most rewarding !
. :)

awesome job Roberto, was she shocked to see all the hard labor it took to float that screed out to properly prepare the substrate for the large porcelain tile??

a real pro with skillset, much different than a cheap tile job.

nice one.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
John,

even if the installer doesnt like the kerdi line system and prefers hydro, id be hard pressed to say he installed it well or properly?

feel bad for all involved. the builder, the homeowner, the previous tile guy with questionable skills.

i kinda feel for you being thrown into the mess as well!!!!!

in the end you made it right. Nice save...

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
i simply would never install that road block in my clients shower.

there is a dam right at the flange , much like a cappilary break where you DONT want it. How that design makes sense in a thinbed application is beyond me?

this is an example of a flange drain with NO road block at the tile/strainer junction.

Not my drain of choice but you can get the point...

image.jpg

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Hey Roberto. Erik. Question for you guys.

This shower has a Kerdi Line drain. The kind with the square hole grate. I watched the video. I watched two get installed first hand, with the little screwing thinging and everything. What I can not figure out is how can I follow the install rules.

linear-shower-drain-56570-1518699.jpg

The thin-set show above has to be a good 3/8" thick. What did you do Roberto? Should I cut sliver os tile down maybe as shims???? It looks like they used Ardex 8+9 in the photo for the Kerdi Band. One type of thin-set for the floor tile and maybe a third type to set the grate.

I checked Laticrete's thin-set specs and it says 1/4". Same with 254 and 315. How can I fill the underside of the Kerdi grate with a good 3/8"-1/2" of thin-set.

This is what Schluter wants I think but not what Laticrete says is OK. What should I do?

I'm thinking I might have to go get the tile grate instead of setting so much thin-set almost twice as thick as it's designed right at the drain.

medium bed can work, I like how ardex Suggests you can use X5 to float and skim up to 1/2"
at a time for prep work..... yet they call it a thinset?

are you installing more schluter line drains John ??

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The drain flange body is set flush with the mudbed or foam. The grate is adjusted so it is flush with the installed tile...the grate can be adjusted to accommodate tile (and thinset) thickness of 1/8" to 1" finished thickness from the membrane. Ignorance is not an excuse to bash a product you do not know how to install.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Ho ho ho

like i said with the schluter line drain I am seeing a roadblock or one last hurdle for the water to counquer .....right at the tile / drain edge! poor strainer/grate design and a light duty thin membrane with foam involved!! JUNK. city

theres simply many better options out there.

Last i checked santa wears red and scoffs at orange roadblocks.?

ignorance is indeed bliss! xoxo counter

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The linear drain works just fine if you prefer to build a mortar bed or use the preformed foam pan...your choice, and that drain cover is only one of several styles you can choose, along with the ability to tile the drain cover (the least expensive option on any brand, if available at all).

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I wonder what products Schluter recommends for this step. Are they listed anywhere?

That's what I'm thinking Erik. So much thin-set right at the drain connection. I also do not want to use a medium bed thin-set mortar for the 2"x2" tile which will be installed fairly tight to the Laticrete Hydro Ban Sheet Membrane.

I think I will pick up the tile insert grate for the line drain. I am not loving this Kerdi drain at all nor all the work to fix the installation.
There is no need for any more thickness of thinset of the body/grate of the Schluter Line drain than any other...John is looking at the drawing and not understanding the installation instructions. The drain allows adjustment of the grate to accommodate tile from 3-25mm, or about 1/8" to 1" in thickness total (which includes any thinset. The body of the drain is flush with the waterproofing membrane and the grate is even with the top of the tile...any moisture that might migrate into the thinset still has a pathway to get to the drain. John does not understand how to install on of these and his comments are totally incorrect.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Another Day in the trenches yesterday.

Client gave me a curve ball yesterday and changed the slab install specifications. In order for the new waterfall edge detail to look somewhat OK I needed to tone down three access panels for the tub down to one. I moved some boxes. Check the heating wire for proper Ohms. removed the wire from under the tub. Ran it out and into the unheated bathroom area. Set it in place. Infilled with repair mortar.

Then at the end of the day set a little flap of Laticrete Hydro Ban Sheet Membrane to the Schluter Kerdi Line drain. Took some messing around.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I am wondering John, if this kerdi drain is better off now with your "in the field" repair and flood.

I know that laticrete allows their membrane and liquid to be connected to their flanged liinear drain and flood tested " in the field "

what is your experience with the flashings on quick drains??

have you ever attached your own flashing to the quick drain flange?

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
surely youll be drilling a few weep/airlock holes ??

that grate must be a component of a Shower kit..

why all the flashings And extras?

what a lot of packaging to toss out????

here is the 1 - 2 punch youll need to remove glue & residue!!!

image.jpg

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The spec for a sheet membrane for shear is a minimum of 50psi, and, that strip was attached with at least that amount. And, once you have your tile on it and grouted, try to peel it off - it's just not going to happen! There are lots of industrial adhesives out there...almost all of the trim on your car is done that way and sees much worse environmental conditions than a shower - freezing to broiling temperatures, rain, snow, sleet, being knocked, brushed, whacked in a car wash, etc. John just likes to make more work for himself since he 'obviously' knows more than the engineers that designed it and warrantee it.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I think it's hilarious how you open the box, and start ripping it apart. Most people would treat it with such care, like it's a brand new car or something. LOL

That ting, ting, ting while you tapped on it could drive me nuts!

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
and then theres the cost of a 10" thin rim blade....

if it makes ya feel better im eating a lot on my current job too.... my 320 hours dies on wed. then a few weeks of counting backwards to finish the job .!

a ladder mishap and a drain flashing redo change orders etc.

id love to hear Jims angle on bidding all the jobs hes done.

No one goes for time&material.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks