Having to hammer pitless adapter....

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by gokorn1, Oct 10, 2018.

1. gokorn1

gokorn1 New Member

So I got everything back together. Slid the pitless back together it went smoothly and felt like a good seat. However when I turn the power on water was pouring out. I noticed some hammer marks on top of my “removal tool” so I gave it a couple solid whacks and it set down about another half inch. It sealed a lot better. However it’s still got a small leak. I’m don’t think it should be like that and I’m afraid to break something. I’m reusing the old pitless as I couldn’t find a new one that was interchangeable with what was already down there. Next idea is to try and remove and try to reseat the pitless.

Any other ideas? Is it normal to have to use a hammer?

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You should have at least replace the o-ring, and lubed it with silicone grease. I would also lube the sliding parts.

Is this a trapezoidal pitless, or what? Any brand name on the casting?

I have never put in a pitless, myself.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Sometimes they need a light tap to seat. But it sounds like your o-ring needs replacing like Reach says. Use an o-ring that you have to stretch just a bit to put on. If it just lays right in the grove it will be too fat and not seat properly.

5. gokorn1

gokorn1 New Member

I did replace the oring and put some silicon grease on it. It appears to be the same kind/style they sell at lowes but with no markings. I had purchased 3 different pitless's from a couple plumbing supply houses, and all were to wide to fit the old one down the casing, so thats why I decided to go with the old one. I guess ill give her another go this evening after work and lube the heck out of it and see what happens.

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

How did you determine the correct O-ring?

This time look for markings, and take a photo... not that those are readily distinguishable from a photo.

I presume this is a trapezoidal pitless since you found a lot of similar-looking pitless adapters.

I suggest that you inspect the new o-ring for scuffing. Maybe pull the O-ring off, insert the pitless into place with no o-ring, carefully mark the tool with respect to the top of the casing. Then when you put this back together with o-ring, you can check the mark to see if the unit is fully seated.

Just ideas. Not speaking from experience.

7. gokorn1

gokorn1 New Member

Good idea, ill try it without the oring. tonight as well, I thinking the previous owner may have just replace the one piece and it may have been slightly bigger unfortunately its about 12-15ft down