Having problems with our pump

Users who are viewing this thread

SandyHills

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'll do the best I can to explain what we've got going on. We live in FL, so we're using a submerged pump with a bladder tank, it has a 40 - 60 Square D pressure relay switch we just replaced because our old one was really bad, even though the house was built in 2005 and it was only 8 years old. The tank has 35 PSI in it and our problem is that the pump seems to be always running, it kicks on at 45 and then off at 60 and then it just sits there at like 45. I have been searching around the board looking for information and I am wondering if the problems we're having could be related to a leak in the back valve, or something. We have black particulate matter in the water along with lots of dirt, especially after it rains a lot. We don't have a low pressure cut off switch lever on the Pressure Relay Switch, and don't know where the back valve is to see if there's some kind of leak in it. I wish I could offer more information on the make and model but I can't really see it on there, the sticker is kind of worn away. What would you advise for having dirty water that will eventually clear up, and what seems like AIR in the line as it sputters a lot when it tried to come back on after the switch got replaced or a power failure? Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer us as we don't know what to do short of calling a well man out.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Dirty water, air in the lines, won't build up and shut off, old pressure switch was "really bad", all sounds like a hole in the pipe down in the well somewhere. Sorry!

SandyHills

Reaction score
That's what we're thinking too valveman, I really appreciate you sharing your opinion with us. Is this something we could attempt to DIY or should we call the pros out? Thank you for your help! :)

SandyHills

Reaction score
Thanks, valveman. One other question, we are wondering, if it's possible the PVC pipe might have a crack in it from the well to the house line somewhere, is that possible? We do have a deep well, so I am wondering if it would be worth it to have my other half dig up the yard running along the pipe to see if there is a crack in it before we call the pros in, what do you think? If it's not that, then it's definitely either the well is going dry or like you said, a hole down IN the well on the pipe somewhere. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us. Not sure how deep the well is but one thing we've noticed, it works better when the pressure is down, it's clearer, and when it's really spitting out it's dirtier.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If I suspected that the lateral line might be leaking, I would disconnect it at the well head and pressure test it with air before I started digging up the yard. We don't have the sandy soils like you might, where here when the lateral is leaking it will cause a muddy spot in the yard.

SandyHills

Reaction score
We didn't realize it, but we put an above ground pool directly over the pipe where the line runs. We think that this might have cracked the PVC pipe as the house is only 8 years old. We don't have any way to do a pressure test unfortunately. But there isn't a muddy spot in the yard that we've seen yet. It's not very far from the house to the well, maybe 25 feet, so he's just gonna dig it up to check it. We're hoping this is our problem and can be repaired on our own.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks