Have SCI And Need Help Choosing A Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

od1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just moved and the toilet at this new place is terrible. It gets stuck a lot.

I have a spinal cord injury. The toilet at my previous place seemed to work well, and didn't get stuck, although I was only there for 2 months. It was an American Standard Champion. I understand Toto Drakes compete directly with American Standard Champions; is that correct? Will the Drake have equivalent, or better, flushing ability compared to the Champion?

I've read here that Caromas have the best flushing ability, but would they be about twice the price of the Drake? I've found Drakes for a little over $200. I think that price-range is at the upper limit of the budget for this.

Let me know if the Toto Drake would be my best option given the budget, while also being something that should work for me.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A spinal cord injury can result in hard, long stools, and a smooth path without sharp bends helps. A toilet with a larger diameter pathway and smooth curves is better. The Caroma has about the largest diameter pathway of available toilets. The Drake does have a smooth path without sharp bends, and might work for you. For people without that problem, it's hard to clog. It's not bad for those others, but it's not a guarantee.

od1

Reaction score
How much is a Caroma?

And how good is a Drake compared to a American Standard Champion?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How much is a Caroma?

And how good is a Drake compared to a American Standard Champion?

I prefer the Drake over the Champion. I've tossed a few Champion toilets and replaced them with TOTO. Just saying.
If you were using the Champion and it wasn't plugging, then the Drake won't either.
The Caroma does have the 3" trapway, but it doesn't sound like you need that much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks