Have a house with Wall Hung Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnDill

Reaction score
It was built in 1969 and the Wall hung is American Standard. I want to replace one it looks to be original to the house it is gravity with a tank and a weak flush. How do you determine if a wall hung toilet will fit the carrier? What are the things to note and watch for? Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If those are on the wall with four nuts and it's gravity with a tank, then there are many that will work for that.

My main go to right now is the Gerber Maxwell Wall Hung.

maxwell_wh_03.jpg

Last edited:

JohnDill

Reaction score
If those are on the wall with four nuts and it's gravity with a tank, then there are many that will work for that.

I ordered an American Standard Glenwall VorMax 1.28 GPF

Will that work well or is the Gerber much better. After I ordered I thought I should check.

JohnDill

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I had not set a wall hung toilet in 30 years back when I was in the plumbing trade. I felt rusty. It went in fine and flushes great. I did not remember 30 years ago only tightening three bolts and hand tightening the fourth but I did that and it worked well.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the advice. I had not set a wall hung toilet in 30 years back when I was in the plumbing trade. I felt rusty. It went in fine and flushes great. I did not remember 30 years ago only tightening three bolts and hand tightening the fourth but I did that and it worked well.

How about a picture of the new toilet? I would love to see how it turned out. 800 pixels or less as an attachment.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes the older wall hung toilets were clamped to the wall tile. We find them often set that way.. its scary.

JoBalz

Reaction score

I was really glad to see this post. We have a mid century modern home from the early 50s with a 1960 Am Std Norwall wall hung toilet in Coralin. Up to three weeks ago, no problems except that you can no longer find replacement seats except in white. Then suddenly, there was a major leak. Plumber discovered the tank AND bowl are cracked and the seal between bowl and wall appears to need replaced. So, new toilet time. The bathroom is small and the tank is against the outside wall, plus walls have ceramic tile. Floor is tile over slab. SO, least expensive choice is to replace wall hung unit. The Norwalls were slightly closer to the wall than a round front tank, but I can't find round front wall hung units, only elongated. Long story short, I did the legwork and determined the Gerber Maxwell and the American Standard Glenwall are my best options. Gerber is considered a 'compact' and sits a bit closer to the wall, but I like the surface treatment of the American Standard for easier cleaning (plus, all bathroom hardware in the house is American Standard). I used painters tape and did a rough tape-out of the toilet specs and determined the American Std was not as intrusive as I had envisioned. At this point, I'll be glad for either. This forum was extremely helpful in narrowing my search!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
norris-wall-hung-terrylove-1.jpg

Maybe 1964 Norris wall hung

norwall-wall-hung-green-01.jpg

American Standard Norwall wall-hung toilet, 1959 in green

glenwall_tile_1.jpg

American Standard Pressure assist with Flushmate

index.php

vormax-wall-hung-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
My family has a wall mount Mansfield Quantum that is going in my bathroom in our newly constructed house. We chose the Zurn Z1285 4 bolt carrier. The house will be completed in February. Annoyingly The plumbing contractor the home builders hired didn’t take the wall thickness into consideration and the drain coupling didn’t stick out far enough and they had to open the walls to extend it. These pictures were taken a few weeks ago. I will have a picture of the bathroom when it’s done

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpeg
    IMG_0316.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 100
  • Resized_20231210_134357.jpeg
    Resized_20231210_134357.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0404.jpeg
    IMG_0404.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0405.jpeg
    IMG_0405.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 110

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
My family has a wall mount Mansfield Quantum that is going in my bathroom in our newly constructed house. We chose the Zurn Z1285 4 bolt carrier. The house will be completed in February. Annoyingly The plumbing contractor the home builders hired didn’t take the wall thickness into consideration and the drain coupling didn’t stick out far enough and they had to open the walls to extend it. These pictures were taken a few weeks ago. I will have a picture of the bathroom when it’s done
Details matter. hopefully they got it taken care of 100%. The toilet should end up resting on washers supported by nuts and not the wall.

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
They are getting ready to tile the bathroom. House will be finished very soon. I will post an update once the tile is in and when the toilet is installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0924.jpeg
    IMG_0924.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0928.jpeg
    IMG_0928.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0927.jpeg
    IMG_0927.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 66
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks