Has anyone seen this happen before??

Users who are viewing this thread

TL

Reaction score
Hey all!

I need to satisfy my curiosity. I briefly searched the interwebz to no avail.

I used a standard 1/2" square head pipe plug (like below) to plug both shower head outlets while doing my current (never ending) bathroom remodel.

8329501-23.jpg

I have no leaks within the system and have periodically checked over the course of the project. I recently finished tiling and grouting the shower area and was ready to put on the shower valve trims. I wanted to check one last time (before I closed things up) that there were no leaks at the shower valve and when I put my hand inside, I noticed that the insulation was wet! I almost sh#t a brick for too many reasons I care to share right now. . .the most important one being that the pipes are not accesible (yet). It wasn't leaking from the shower valve, so I knew the problem was at the shower head drop ear. I was beside myself for about 15 minutes wondering how long this thing has been leaking and then dropping F bombs knowing that I either had to get to work on the access panel (which I didn't have time to do this weekend) or heaven forbid, have to ruin all of my good work by removing tile and Kerdi. . .:mad::mad:.

After I calmed down a bit, I for some reason reached up to see if there was anything going on with the plug and it was completely loose!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: Not even finger tight!! I checked the plug in the other shower head. . .and the same thing!! Completely loose, although no leaks on that side.

Both plugs were "installed correctly" with Teflon tape, proper torque, etc., and actually re-checked a few times initially. It's not rocket science, right?

I've never seen anything like that happen before. How could those plugs back out like that?? Has anyone ever experienced anything like that?

Tom

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you check for leaks immediately after installing the plugs, or some other time later?

My initial reaction is that you "tightened" the plugs, except perhaps not tight enough. Secondly, the shower head is under pressure only when the valve is on, so the leak test should have been done with the valve on - did you do that?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
That plug doesn't look right to me. Seems more like a European import, or something from King Tut's tomb.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While it doesn't happen too often, you might have ended up splitting the drop ear el when you installed the plug. That would release the plug and create a leak through both the crack and the now loose plug.

TL

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone. To answer your questions. . .

1. I checked for leaks countless times while the framing was open over the course of about a year. And yes, the valve was open.

2. That's not the actual plug. . .just a pic from the internet for illustration purposes. But it's similar.

3. Not sure what you mean by taper. . .?

4. Yes, splitting the drop ear is the most plausible explanation, but this isn't the first nut or bolt that I've tightened. And I know they are brass and soft, but after years of experience with all forms of construction, roofing, siding, electrical, pulling motors out of cars, operating on people, etc., I'd like to think that over tightening (or under tightening, for that matter) and breaking the drop ear is a slim possibility. And to happen twice. . .kind of odd to me. But possible, I guess.

I'll feel better when I create the access for the second side and can take a look-see. In the meantime, I'll put the shower head arm on the side that has access and see if there any problems. If it starts to rotate, I'll have to call a ghost hunting team or something. . .ha ha! Weird.

Last edited:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
The drop ear threads are tapered and the plug should be too. The plug in the picture does not look like it has NPT (tapered) threads.

Like my wife always says, "maybe someone broke in while you were away and loosened them just to mess with you";)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the plumbing fittings are now being imported from China...one never knows the quality you're going to get. It's very disappointing, but a fact of life.

TL

Reaction score
Taper. . .ok, that's what I thought you meant. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, they have NPT threads. I tried to attach a pic with a decription, but have suddenly been having trouble with uploading files/pics/links for some reason.

I'm guessing I got them at one of the big box stores. I don't see it listed at the The Big Orange Monstrosity, so I probably picked them up while at Lowes. I'm sure I could wade through hundreds or receipts and confirm, but. . . . .no!:D I'll try the link here. . .

http://www.lowes.com/pd_645704-72906-211-8X+P_1z0viwf__ (success!)

Bluebinky. . .I think your wife may right.

And Jim, the two I put in the respective shower valves (no tub) are dry as a bone. So I guesss if they were made in China, 2 out of 4 ain't bad, right?? ;) (That would be horrible, actually. . .).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks