Has anyone repaired a Mueller frost free multi turn hose bibb?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sunjwd

Reaction score
I have a silver (chromed?) frost free hose bibb. It is stamped Mueller B&K. This one has a multi turn red metal handle. It was manufactured in Taiwan. The house was built in 1999 so this should be no older than that.
There is no vacuum break in this model.

The problem:
- Water shuts off fine.
- But when the water is on, the water sometimes leaks from where the handle is.

In conventional faucets this indicates I should either replace the packing cord, a packing washer, or possibly an O ring.

Has anyone ever repaired one of these and can give me a hint if regular parts can be used?
( I ask because I cannot find any Mueller specific parts on the Internet.)

20200505_142850.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Try giving the packing nut 1/8 or 1/4 turn CW.
Has anyone ever repaired one of these and can give me a hint if regular parts can be used?
Packing cord/string. I like the white, but others prefer the graphite. Don't remove old packing. Just add more.

I have not repaired that brand, but packing is pretty basic.

Sunjwd

Reaction score
I had heard that frost free bibbs were not as basic hence hoping someone had direct experience.
Took it apart cause I guess you can't beat that for specifics.

This one doesn't use packing cords. It has an o-ring which was roughed up. I was lucky that
I had one in my collection that looks close. Put some silicon grease on it too. Now it no longer
leaks. Hope it lasts a while. Including the pictures in case anyone else runs into one of these.

20200505_161445.jpg
20200505_161507.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks